Help raising pH

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With Apex Probe that was recently calibrated.
Any other way to test? Like a Hanna or a test kit just to be sure the probe isn’t off. Mine was like this right after I calibrated and it was driving me crazy. Bought the Hanna and it read 8.1 while my apex was reading 7.6. I also live in central Florida and opening up windows isn’t a thing down here.

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other way to test? Like a Hanna or a test kit just to be sure the probe isn’t off. Mine was like this right after I calibrated and it was driving me crazy. Bought the Hanna and it read 8.1 while my apex was reading 7.6. I also live in central Florida and opening up windows isn’t a thing down here.
So I just tried checking with my Hanna pH checker, said 8.1, but I am not entirely sure how calibrated it is, as it was dry when I took off the cap.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little background on pH...

...and a couple of thoughts:
  • pH measurements from hobby grade testers are often innaccurate. So take your readings with a grain of salt.
  • Your pH most likely is tied to your effective C02
  • Your effective CO2 is your combined sources and sinks in your tank
  • With a 300 gal tank and good water movement, your skimmer's gas exchange with CO2 scrubbed air may be much smaller than your tank's gas exchange with the highor CO2 house air. Thus, you may not see much of a benefit from the CO2 scrubber.
  • Kalkwasser should give you a decent (can be estimated) bump
  • Macroalgae and other photosynthetic organisms can give you bumps during the light cycle
  • Running a refugium on reverse light cycle can help at night
I hope this gives you some ideas...

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Randy's two part?

Here is the original 2 part article/thread:

Here is the 2/3 part (dose Mg separate):

I was at my evap capacity with kalk so I switched to the 2/3 part formula. Works great but because it's so concentrated, I dose very little and I dont see the full benefit of the higher PH.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back