Temp 75-77
Calcium 425
Alk 8.7
Mag 1250
Ph 7.8-8
Phosphates .01
Nitrates 5.0-6

I run an apex and everything shows stable and ok

So for a couple weeks now my Scolys, bowerbankiis, torches, and other SPS have spent most their days with Gaping mouths and small ramen like tentacles hanging out of them. 90% of my sps bleached out and died (I had 5 frags die of various sps my two larger colonies I have had for 1 year plus both seem fine). My montis are very bleached and one of my lobos is showing small signs of bleaching. I have only lost SPS but LPS hasn't looked great in 2 weeks. Candy canes are starting to melt and look droopy and

My tank sat at 11 alk for about 2 weeks while I was dosing a mislabeled calcium that was also boosting alk but I got it corrected slowly and roughly a month later these symptoms started and have been around for 2-3 weeks. Things seem to be getting worse not improving FYI

Any ideas what is happening? I run an AI 26 over my JBJ 45 gallon tank and run a light schedule of mostly blues 50% or less intensity for 8 hours. I did a ip analysis triton test and everything is in acceptable range

At the beginning of these symptoms there was 2-3 days where most my corals had these ramen like tentacles all over themselves like everything was on edge trying to sting each other or something.

Can anyone help?? Photos attached of how corals look things do not look good and everything seems to have the same symptoms

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Flow?
- Light Changes?
- Run Carbon in case of any unknown contaminant? (ICP test doesn't come back with results for things it doesn't test for -- meaning if they don't run a bleach test they wont be able to tell you if there's bleach in your water)
- wearing lotions / spraying aerosols?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any water changes?
Running any GFO or similar products?
Double checked all your test results with a different testing method or calibrating testing equipment?

OP
OP
Kyler

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Flow?
- Light Changes?
- Run Carbon in case of any unknown contaminant? (ICP test doesn't come back with results for things it doesn't test for -- meaning if they don't run a bleach test they wont be able to tell you if there's bleach in your water)
- wearing lotions / spraying aerosols?

I do soak my filter socks in bleach for an hour or so while I clean my tank but I run the mm twice in the washer after that. I suppose this could have somehow contaminated it.

I constantly run a small bag of seagel. I changed it 3 days ago to try to get some relief but no avail.

OP
OP
Kyler

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any water changes?
Running any GFO or similar products?
Double checked all your test results with a different testing method or calibrating testing equipment?

I had my brother come over and we ran all his test kits with same results. I change 5 gallons religiously every week and it's a 45 gallon tank

I run seagel in my filter socks and a skimmer that is my filter system in a nutshell.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that those are mesenterial filaments, internal structures of corals. Typically the presence of mesenterial filaments in LPS especially to the extent showing in your corals is a sure sign of stress. I doubt it's lighting, probably a containment or water chemistry issues.
Check all equipment for malfunction, check for stay voltage.
Test out your water source as well for the basic chemistry prior to doing the water change.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries on the bleach, I was just using bleach as a random example of a contaminant that could have made it into your tank without you noticing -- It could be lotion, gummy bears, perfume -- Lots of things. But foreign stuff in tank can happen. Was just trying to get you thinking of external potential pollutants.

I run the stock return which I believe is 2 300 gph pumps as well as a gyre that I run on the lowest flow option

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not anywhere near good enough. I asked because your corals look like deflated balloon animals. Gyre's are cool, but they're a gimmick, they are not, and will not be good enough for a primary source of flow -- I tried the gyre thing, 2 gyres at 70%+ on a 50 cube and all my corals were basically flow starved.

Go buy a real powerhead, gyres are supplemental flow, not primary flow.

EDIT: I also want to point out this may not be your *only* issue -- Other people already have you covered there, I'm just sticking to what you answered now -- Flow.

Additionally -- Get some fresh carbon on your system too

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a flow issue because scolys and acans thrive in a low flow environment.

I've seen these symptoms when salinity or temp swung rapidly or when a reactor lost power and was turned back on after it went anaerobic.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend upgrading your return pump to a single sicce 3.0 or something similar. I run the sicce 3.0 on my jbj 45 and have increased filtration and a lot better flow around the tank on top of that I run a mp40qd.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back