Help: Red Sea Reefer Overflow Noise

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Okay I've got a real head scratcher here. I've been trying to logically think through this, but I must be missing something.

So basically I have to raise the level in my overflow area to where it's almost running down the emergency drain, I mean like a hair from the top of the emergency drain pipe (see pic below). Previously the water level would allow 1"-2" of the emergency pipe to be above the water line. The issue is now I have to keep the water level so close the top of the emergency drain pipe that whenever my powerheads surge the water flows over and runs down making a noise.

When I open the main drain valve any more to lower the water level I get this crazy... well best way I can describe it is a cracking noise?! I look into the overflow area and I can see there's a spinning vortex of water in the large drain silencer, similar to the vortexes you get if you put your powerhead too close to the surface. The water spins around and then flushes down to the sump area with a cracking noise. It happens off and on every 15-20 seconds, it's unbearable to leave it like this. My guess is the crackling noise is air, but I'm not sure.

I followed this video and cleaned the control valve, thinking the pipe must be clogged or something. But it was pretty clean. I've found that my system can be sensitive to any changes, cleaning the skimmer, changing filter socks, and I'd have to make small adjustments at the main valve to raise or lower the water level in the overflow. However this is a new one, I can't figure out what I need to do so I can lower the level.

I noticed this happening roughly about the same time I did a major clean of my sand bed, I don't know if it's coincidence. But it's been 2 weeks since the clean and I'm still having this issue. Any advice?

Overflow.jpg

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always needed to be pretty high so as to not make noise.
The two causes I can think of is
1 the ato is dry and not filling the last chamber enough.
2 some sand or gunk got in the ruturn pipe and made it more sensitive to tune. I would get a cheap pipe cleaner to clear it out.

I would also try and turn the valve the smallest amount I can maby even to the point I did not even think it moved. I would keep doing that and waiting to see if I could tune it.

Best of luck

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought the same fight with mine for a year and half before finally replacing it with standard 1” PVC and a Gate Valve.

Many other folks experience it too and either wind up letting water trickle down the emergency pipe or replacing it.
Was really the only thing I disliked about my Reefer.

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a piece of 1 inch silicone tubing to extend the emergency drain up a bit approx 1/2 inch.
I also found is you run over 450gph you will get the vortex suction.
You can remove the Large main drain cover(part with the clear top) and you wont get the vortex. The waterbox drain system doesn't have a pipe over a pipe just a strainer on top of the main drain. I assume the Part with the clear top helps cycle water from bottom of over flow?

I find it finicky with the pipe over a pipe config. Way easier to tune without it. I put it back in once in a while and drop a power head into overflow to clean.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I’m torn; part of me is glad to know it’s not just me, but then also a little frustrated that a tank as expensive as a Red Sea Reefer has such a common problem.

I think I’ll try removing the “silencer” on the main drain and see if that helps with the vortex issue. If not may extend the emergency drain pipe in the overflow with a a bit of tubing.. great idea by the way!

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update for anyone having the same problem...

I did remove the Red Sea "silencer" and that fixed my problems! Strange that something designed to reduce noise was actually the cause of it. I can now lower the water level in my overflow box and all is working as it should. :D

MandM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link to the cleaning video. That did the trick for me; hermits were stuck in the pipe. Part of my monthly maintenance routine now.

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update for anyone having the same problem...

I did remove the Red Sea "silencer" and that fixed my problems! Strange that something designed to reduce noise was actually the cause of it. I can now lower the water level in my overflow box and all is working as it should. :D

what exactly is this silencer? I'm having roughly the same issue. no flushing sound, but a constant pipe drainage sound, if that makes sense.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back