Help. Reef Octopus Regal 250int vs 300int.

JayinToronto

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
266
Reaction score
231
Location
Toronto, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 400 gallon system (280 DT + 126 sump in a separate room).
I need a new skimmer, my old Deltec double pump skimmer is on it's last legs and replacement pumps are very expensive.

Looking at the Reef Octopus Regals. There is a 300 available at a good price vs waiting for the 250 and paying retail. Does anyone have experience with these two? Mainly would the 300 be too big for my system, or can they be tuned down to perform well on a 400 gallon system. I don't have a massive bioload, run a mixed reef, but do struggle a bit with high nutrients. I have the space in my sump for either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
 
I run an ext 250 on 350 gallons. And get a full cup of good dark skim mate ever of two week on a low stock tank at the moment. Also hop between speeds 2-3 of of 5 with the varios controller. Think 300 may be overkill for your size.
 
I run an ext 250 on 350 gallons. And get a full cup of good dark skim mate ever of two week on a low stock tank at the moment. Also hop between speeds 2-3 of of 5 with the varios controller. Think 300 may be overkill for your size.
Thanks for your input
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new