Help Requested (Powder Brown Tang)

TinyMagikarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

A pre-emptive thanks for all y'alls time.

I have a powder brown tang that is currently breathing rapidly, more lethargic than usual, and refusing to eat. As of last Friday (7/21/2023), he's been showing some signs of distress. That day I performed a 20% water change. He was fine before the water change but not long after he began showing the symptoms previously listed. I noticed Friday that the tank was in the middle of a red planaria outbreak so I vacuumed the vast majority of them out. I then did another 40 percent change on Sunday after failing to see any improvement. I currently do not see any signs of ich/velvet or any outward signs of illness for that matter. He looks very clean and is still very plump as he used to be a voracious eater. All of his tank mates are doing perfectly fine with no symptoms.

Background:
The tang currently lives with 2 clowns and a queen angel in a 125 gallon tank. Mr Tang here has been through 3 rounds of copper treatment. Two from a really bad ich/velvet outbreak in a separate 55 gallon quarantine with all of the other fish listed and then once more in the main display tank. I finally gave up after 2 failed 72 day fallow periods and dosed the main tank so please excuse the massive amount of algae currently present). Each copper treatment lasted well over a month. The tank has been running for well over a year though the copper treament from about 4 months back threw a lot of things out of wack. I recently added cuprisorb to both my filters to allow invertebrates back into the DT. The only livestock added since the copper treatment ended was a purple urchin and some snails that I already had in a fishless system for over 3 months.

Any ideas on what is wrong with him and what I can do about it? I've attached a video that hopefully shows enough to get some ideas. It's a bit grainy but I'm almost positive there's no ich. When I performed the water change, i did intentionally drop the salinity a bit over 10%. Could that be the culprit? Thanks again.

Attachments

• 361898599_6487329718022551_1466328107475120519_n.mp4
    8 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

A pre-emptive thanks for all y'alls time.

I have a powder brown tang that is currently breathing rapidly, more lethargic than usual, and refusing to eat. As of last Friday (7/21/2023), he's been showing some signs of distress. That day I performed a 20% water change. He was fine before the water change but not long after he began showing the symptoms previously listed. I noticed Friday that the tank was in the middle of a red planaria outbreak so I vacuumed the vast majority of them out. I then did another 40 percent change on Sunday after failing to see any improvement. I currently do not see any signs of ich/velvet or any outward signs of illness for that matter. He looks very clean and is still very plump as he used to be a voracious eater. All of his tank mates are doing perfectly fine with no symptoms.

Background:
The tang currently lives with 2 clowns and a queen angel in a 125 gallon tank. Mr Tang here has been through 3 rounds of copper treatment. Two from a really bad ich/velvet outbreak in a separate 55 gallon quarantine with all of the other fish listed and then once more in the main display tank. I finally gave up after 2 failed 72 day fallow periods and dosed the main tank so please excuse the massive amount of algae currently present). Each copper treatment lasted well over a month. The tank has been running for well over a year though the copper treament from about 4 months back threw a lot of things out of wack. I recently added cuprisorb to both my filters to allow invertebrates back into the DT. The only livestock added since the copper treatment ended was a purple urchin and some snails that I already had in a fishless system for over 3 months.

Any ideas on what is wrong with him and what I can do about it? I've attached a video that hopefully shows enough to get some ideas. It's a bit grainy but I'm almost positive there's no ich. When I performed the water change, i did intentionally drop the salinity a bit over 10%. Could that be the culprit? Thanks again.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang looks fat and sassy. The only symptom is slightly rapid breathing. I don’t think this is a disease issue. That leaves some water quality problem. Do you know the current pH of the water? Is there good aeration, not just circulation?

Jay

OP
OP
T

TinyMagikarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang looks fat and sassy. The only symptom is slightly rapid breathing. I don’t think this is a disease issue. That leaves some water quality problem. Do you know the current pH of the water? Is there good aeration, not just circulation?

Jay
Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that. There's good circulation but there's no aeration. I can try an air stone tomorrow. In terms of water parameters I will get that tested tomorrow as well.

OP
OP
T

TinyMagikarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't gotten my water parameters yet, but I forgot to mention something. My tang is favoring his right side gills. I frequently notice him while breathing that his left gill plates aren't moving. It's not that he's unable to move them, he just seems to not really want to. Does this suggest something is irritating his left side?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really healthy looking japonicus to me.
Haven't gotten my water parameters yet, but I forgot to mention something. My tang is favoring his right side gills. I frequently notice him while breathing that his left gill plates aren't moving. It's not that he's unable to move them, he just seems to not really want to. Does this suggest something is irritating his left side?
I don't know there. Sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen one sided breathing once in a while, but usually on angelfish. I’m not sure why fish do that. Sometimes the affected fish will switch gills back and forth.
Jay

OP
OP
T

TinyMagikarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today i see the little guy showing some interest in eating. I've managed to catch him grazing away at some algae though he still doesn't seem interested in his regular food. I think he'll be ok. Thanks for all the help everyone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back