OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ontario, Canada. One of my local stores has two healthy ones in their coral display tanks but they told me they can't fish them out. Which I understand - it'd be a huge hassle - but I can't help wishing they could.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone refer me to scientific sources on the topic of starvation and organ failure? I'm searching up on the forum right now but if there's anything else I should read, I'd appreciate recommendations. I still haven't found a good scientific guide on saltwater fish diseases.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone refer me to scientific sources on the topic of starvation and organ failure? I'm searching up on the forum right now but if there's anything else I should read, I'd appreciate recommendations. I still haven't found a good scientific guide on saltwater fish diseases.
@Jay Hemdal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was incorrect when I said "organ failure", but this post from Jay Hemdal is what I was referring to...
Fish will reach a point where if they have gone without food long enough, that they use up their livers for energy. Once that point is reached, they cannot recover from the liver damage.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've come across that on other threads as well. I'm wondering at what point does that liver damage start so I can assess whether a fish at the LFS is past saving or not. I know with mandarins if the stomach is very concave they're probably past saving and they're only really healthy if the lateral line isn't visible but that's a big range.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's died. Possibly was dead when I thought I saw him turn around - it was probably just the water current.

Really bummed because he was eating well. Could he have died because of high nitrates? It was my understanding that nitrates have to be REALLY high before fish start showing adverse effects.

Or if it's not nitrates, anything else I can do differently next time? I love the dragonet family but I've had several die mysteriously like this, going from eating really well to lethargic and dead within the span of a day or two. No visible sign of ich or velvet but it could've been in the gills. Should I invest in a microscope to start taking samples? Should I put them straight into quarantine with some sort of medication? I was going to let this guy get fatter before I started treating him but maybe I shouldn't have waited.

Prolonged starvation can cause organ damage. I don’t think this is your fault. Even if they start eating, it can be too late.

I would not buy emaciated fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI starvation and organ failure is true of other animals and humans too. That’s just what happens when you don’t have nutrients to stay alive. Your body needs electrolytes and minerals to complete certain functions.

Your body will start to break down its own tissues to try and live. Fat stores and then muscle tissues.

I am sure you could find information on humans/other animals about it if not fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've come across that on other threads as well. I'm wondering at what point does that liver damage start so I can assess whether a fish at the LFS is past saving or not. I know with mandarins if the stomach is very concave they're probably past saving and they're only really healthy if the lateral line isn't visible but that's a big range.
IMO, unless they're giving you the fish for free, I wouldn't even risk it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back