Help! Second fish to turn white suddenly

bartikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had recently bought a 4 line wrasse from a LFS that didn't last more than 48 hours. My fault for being so dang itchy on the trigger to buy a fish that is pretty rare for where I am.

He had a similar lump on his side on the second day I had him, similar to the lump my poor blenny has now (center of the bleached white area). I suspect this is a virus and highly infectious, can anyone else confirm? I don't have a quarantine tank yet, I don't know what to do. I don't think this guy will last the night, as 3 hours ago he was fine, and now he's too lethargic to even hide properly and can barely remain righted.
20190825_211257.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank as it looks pretty darn clean which makes me wonder about ammonia? Have you tested your water parameters? If so what are they.

OP
OP
bartikus

bartikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank as it looks pretty darn clean which makes me wonder about ammonia? Have you tested your water parameters? If so what are they.
It is certainly not that clean. The tank is 2+ months old, and still has the new tank uglies. I saw an ammonia spike in the first week (cycled with Dr. Tim's One and Only and Dr. Tim's ammonia chloride solution), then nitrite, now nitrates are the only thing present of the 3. I had diatom blooms in week 3 and got the cuc (started small and slowly diversified). I test ammonia and nitrite daily until 2 weeks ago, and they never went over 0ppm again until that point.

I did a full test of everything yesterday. Only thing off is nitrate at 16 ppm (down from much, much, higher) and alk at 7dkh.

This dude has been happy for around a month, no issues. He does have aggressive tank mates, but I've never seen aggression towards the blenny.

Back