Help selecting skimmer for IM Nuvo 40

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I have my new Nuvo 40 cycling for a couple of weeks now. Last piece of equipment I am looking to add in a couple weeks is a skimmer. I’ve been researching for a while and I am having trouble finding a reputable skimmer that fits in one of the accessory chambers. At the moment I am thinking about ditching the filter stock to go with a Tunze 9004 DC skimmer. But I’m concerned that removing the sock may lead to larger particles staying in tank/ AIO sump. If you have a similar sized Nuvo, I’m very interested in any thoughts, ideas recommendations for the skimmer. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll still want the filter sock and/or media baskets (InTank makes a great upgrade, so it's worth checking out), so yes - your concerns are well-founded. So you're looking for a skimmer in addition to your filtration (socks or media baskets). Tunze, IceCap and Bubble Magus all make good nano skimmers from what I've read.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the feedback. I’ve recently been made aware of the PLS-50 skimmer from mode aquariums, thanks to Maximus93101. It fits in the accessory chamber so it would be a great solution. Just trying to get in touch with them to make sure they are still shipping them out.

stinkycheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the feedback. I’ve recently been made aware of the PLS-50 skimmer from mode aquariums, thanks to Maximus93101. It fits in the accessory chamber so it would be a great solution. Just trying to get in touch with them to make sure they are still shipping them out.

what did you end up getting? Were you able to get in contact with someone at modeaquariums?

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, dont buy the nuvoskim until they redesign the pump

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was ordered about 10 months ago but had ZERO replies to my emails and phone calls. I'd just use a form of payment that allows for a refund to b safe. The other option is the AliExpress. I bought one of these for a back up. VERY similar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902_195718.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902_195718.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 57

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Mode and go it very quickly, so my expeiance was very good. Having said that, as others have pointed out, you can get it from AliExpress for much cheaper. I have a thread outlining my experiance with Mode and have AliExpress links to the various versions of the skimmer in this thread HERE.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back