Help setting up my first sump

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I am working on a seahorse tank (build thread in the seahorse forum). I am adding a sump to the system. This will be my first sump and I'm trying to figure out how to set it up. I currently have a hang on back continuous syphen overflow entering into the bulkhead on the top of the sump. This drains into a filter sock. I had to add extra tubing on the inside of the sump to cut down on the splashing noise. The sump has two sections. I plan to put my skimmer in the first section near the filter sock. I have live rock in the return section with the return pump. I will need to add a chiller at some point which I think will pull water from the return and return it back to the return section of the sump. I am trying to figure out where to put my chemical media (purigen and carbon). There is no good place to put it so it guarantees water flow through it. I have a canister filter laying around and was considering using that for the purigen and carbon and possibly extra live rock. Where would be the best place to set this up (i.e. pull from and return to)? Would it make sense to put the canister in line with the chiller when I get it (so canister pulls water from sump outputs to chiller and chiller returns to sump). Anything I am missing? I am putting a picture of the current setup in the first comment. I welcome all comments/suggestions.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture. I need to do some wire control but trying to get everything where i want it first.
20170524_220128.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you pretty well on your way to done.

adjustments:

1). no flood for power out. (sump does not overflow)
2) normal operation returns when power returns
3) (and the on3 I forgot LOL) With over flow failure (siphon break or blockage) no flood as return pump runs out of water.

HTH and best tank ever.

Still just my .02

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @beaslbob

1 already checked. Power out and sump handles overflow turned off powerstrip).
2 also checked. Return line has a hole drilled cutting syphen and starts up no problem turned on power strip).
How do you check 3? I also did not check this one.

Any ideas on how to add the canister and chiller?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back