Help setting up my Odyssea T5 light fixture

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Well I just replaced my stock hood lamp with a new Odyssea T5 system and I'm wondering of the best way to set it up. I have a 36" long 30g aquarium with a glass cover on the top. My old stock light just sat on the glass top and all was well. This new fixture comes with legs so I can either set it directly on top of the glass top, or use the mounting legs that came with the fixture.

One of the problems I'm facing, is that this new fixture is allot wider and thicker than my stock light. It's about double the thickness and when I sit it on top of my glass cover, I can't get the lid open to get into the tank or feed my fish! I have to take the fixture off in order to feed my fish and that's a pain. If I mount it using the supplied legs, I can still KINDA partially get the front latch raised to feed my critters, but not by much, and still can't get into the tank if I need to upright a snail, adjust a powerhead or whatever. I do like having my lid on because it helps eliminate evaporation and keeps my fish from jumping out/snails from climbing out. Do any of you have trouble with removing your tops? I'm half afraid to do that. On the backside of my tank, I have a HOB Marineland Penguin 350 filter and a Reef Octopus skimmer so I can't really push the fixture back any farther... not that would really help anyway. I'm curious of how others handle the situation.

My second question is about the timer settings. I have 3 different bulbs. I have 2x T5 HO lamps 10,000K, 2x Actinic Blue and 3x moonshade LEDs. I have no idea when to use the different settings. I have no corals yet, only fish. Will be getting an anemone soon tho. But as per your recommendations, when should I set the lights for? Should I run the moonshade leds all night, and then have the 10000k come on in the morning? Or does the actinic blue come on in the morning? Should I have both the 10,000k and the Actinic blue on at the same time? I really have no idea here. The directions that came with the light are horrible. "To cancel all the time settings, set off time same as on time. Press corresponding button directly any time." do what now??? I'm clueless..... :sad:

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this would work with your situation.You could remove the hinge on your glass top so that you would have two glass panels.Then you could slide one on top of the other to gain access to the tank. Or If you have proficient feeders you can drop food into the the front of the HOBF output.
As far as programming goes I personally leave my lights on for ten hours a day.If I had your options I would run the moon lights at night.Then have the atinics come on about a hour before the daylights,continuing with both for 8 or so hours.Finally,having atinics only for one hour. It can be beneficial for fish to have gradual illumination,similar to nature.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 24" versions of your light. I have mine set up to have the actinics come on first then 2 hours later the white lights come on, then the white lights turn off after 6 hours and the actinics turn off after 10 hours. The moonlights then come on and stay on for 5 hours through the night.

My schedule is
Actinics on at 9:00am
Whites on at 11:00am
Whites off at 5:00pm
Actinics off at 7:00pm
Moonlights on at 7:00pm
Moonlights off at1:00 am

I use the legs on my light and it seems to make my corals happy.
Here's a link to a hanging kit from ebay that you might want to take a look at. It is made specificaly for Odyssea t5 quad with timer fixtures.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hang-Kit-C-...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19eb1d38f8

Last edited:

Karl Mayfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with light set up T5 odyssey followed instructions but lights not coming on the clock black dot indicator is solid black and the 2t5 indicators and the led indicator is blinking black dot but fixture not coming on

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back