Help setup Aqua 25w UV

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine got out of the hobby. He sold most of his stuff and gave me some leftover items he had. One of them is a 25w Aqua UV light. His tank was a little smaller than mine (his was 90 gallons, mine is 130 gallons). This looks like the right size UV for my tank.

My plan for installation
Presently my return pump is 1.25” main that tees to 1” lines feeding both sides of my tank. I plan on cutting out the tee and using one return pump for each side (I also have a Cor 20 pump waiting to be used).

The UV I was given is setup for 3/4” threaded adapters. Is it going to reduce my flow too much to just use 3/4”-1” adapters at the fitting or should I replace the unions with something I can use 1” pipe for?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a 25-watt system will be perfect for your tank size. I just replied to another UV thread, so I'm going to (shamelessly) pull his image for an alternate setup that doesn't require you to change your plumbing and will allow you to dial-in the speed for your UV separately (ignore the flow sensors and unions on this diagram, as you can just use braided or silicone hosing).

1658342727392.png

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing the plumbing doesn’t concern me, I’m the one that installed it originally. I don’t know the age of the equipment I purchased that came with the tank. I like the idea of some redundancy if my main pump fails. At least I’ll have some return going through the system.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back