Help! Sexy shrimp is eating my scoly?

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure but it looks sexy shrimps are eating my breeding apple scoly... Any advice on how to save my scoly?

Five sexy shrimps in 13.5G tank. No fish.
Water parameter is normal and stable: Alkalinity 7.8, No3 11.2ppm, Po4 0.08ppm
Feeding coral food to scoly: Once every 5 days

So far, I tried.
1. Feed to sexy shrimp - not sure if I sucess. When feeding, sexy shrimp did not come to catch the food (I tried mysis shrimp and frozen coral food)
2. In recent days, temperature was very high (around 83F) when light was on. Cool the room, and down to 78F.

IMG_4376.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, sometimes a sexy shrimp will go rogue and take an interest in particular corals, e.g. stylophora (2 different sexies). I had one that decided it liked my button scoly and trachy. There is plenty of food going into the tank (4x per day). The rogue shrimp took a liking to one coral and they would be impossible to get them off of it (despite having 5 RFAs available for them). For me, only way to save my scoly/trachy, which were showing signs of stress, was to remove the sexy.n I tried to capture and rehome the rogue sexy but accidentally killed it.

OP
OP
Neko

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, sometimes a sexy shrimp will go rogue and take an interest in particular corals, e.g. stylophora (2 different sexies). I had one that decided it liked my button scoly and trachy. There is plenty of food going into the tank (4x per day). The rogue shrimp took a liking to one coral and they would be impossible to get them off of it (despite having 5 RFAs available for them). For me, only way to save my scoly/trachy, which were showing signs of stress, was to remove the sexy.n I tried to capture and rehome the rogue sexy but accidentally killed it.
Thanks for your sharing!
When sexy shrimp comes, they staretd eating stylopora. It was not serious...They also eat slimes and cleaned rocks. So I let them free for a while. But now, I think it's time to move...

I will try to siphon them, and move to my 5G RFA tank.
(I don't think I can catch them)

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post sorry but I’ve had this problem as well. Had a group of 8 in my 14g nano and sometimes I will see them just picking at a Blasto or Goni. I’m down to 5 now and won’t be replacing them when they go (they don’t seem to live that long).

OP
OP
Neko

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 1.5 month since I moved them. My bleeding apple scoly is getting rocovered!!

Attachments

• IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 26

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 1.5 month since I moved them. My bleeding apple scoly is getting rocovered!!
How did you decide to catch them? I want to move mine from my 90g to a nano. I have 6 that are about an inch in size and crazy fast. I truly enjoy these guys but I want to add a wrasse or two that are known to eat small shrimp.

OP
OP
Neko

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you decide to catch them? I want to move mine from my 90g to a nano. I have 6 that are about an inch in size and crazy fast. I truly enjoy these guys but I want to add a wrasse or two that are known to eat small shrimp.
Sexy shrimp is very small. I turned off my all the pump, and siphoned them using gravel cleaner to backet. I successfully moved them wihtout any dagame. It was very easy.

I used gravel cleaner called "Suisaku Prohose". This is one of the BEST gravel cleaner in my opinion. I use it for my water change.

I think you can use hose and your mouth to siphon them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back