Caulastrea shrinking

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have this caulastrea for 3 weeks. Everything was perfect ntil 3 days ago when the lower head started to shrink (not yet exposing skeleton, just it isn't fluffy as it used to be). The last thing I did wrong is I feed it larger piece of frozen shrimp that I bought from the supermarket (I live in a small town and here we don't have coral food). The poor head was struggling to eat it, but finally after 2 hours it swallowed the piece. After that event it never fluffed up as much as before. I was thinking it might be something else, but the other two larger heads are as fluffy as ever. I also feed them with the same shrimp from the supermarket.
1000000590.jpg
1000000589.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heads will inflate and deflate throughout the day, and over days. I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure it isn't being blasted with too much flow on that head, that can certainly cause shrinking and recession.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it?
Why?

Photosynthetic Corals do not need any direct feeds ever.

Corals expand to capture light.

Iam not sure why direct feeding has become the norm, in nature it rarely happens.

Stressed out, hope it recovers.

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heads will inflate and deflate throughout the day, and over days. I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure it isn't being blasted with too much flow on that head, that can certainly cause shrinking and recession.
That is the only low flow area in my tank. The head is definitely not blasted with flow.
Feed it?
Why?

Photosynthetic Corals do not need any direct feeds ever.

Corals expand to capture light.

Iam not sure why direct feeding has become the norm, in nature it rarely happens.

Stressed out, hope it recovers.
I'm new to the reef community, and I read that is good to feed the candy cane

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the only low flow area in my tank. The head is definitely not blasted with flow.

I'm new to the reef community, and I read that is good to feed the candy cane
I'd just give it time and see how it goes, most likely will recover if conditions are good. I feed mine as well, but I use frozen mysis/brine shrimp soaked in microvert so the size is more manageable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back