Help! - Sick Rock Flower Nem - Treatment Options?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
2,486
Location
Winter Garden
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi everyone,

I consider myself an advanced aquarist, and have kept many anemones, but never the Rock Flower variety. I have a coral quarantine set up, and currently all corals and invertebrates are in great health. The last several days one of my two has shrunken and stayed that way. Some days I would note it looked like it was sloughing off mucous, and other days nothing. I have observed my other anemones (long tentacle - bThe other Rock Flower nem in the same container is in excellent health.

Today the nem looks different, and rather than appearing as though it was sloughing off "dirty" mucous, it appears that something may be growing on it. This happened overnight - see before and after photograph below.

Can anyone help me identify what is ailing this anemone, and what I can do to treat it? I'm afraid it's health is degrading quickly.

D5750CAC-6ADD-48D8-B40A-AB976223769A.jpeg
 
Unfortunately, an anemone is at this point unlikely to survive, although my experience on anemones is somewhat limited compared to other aquarists. The first thing I’d recommend is to dip it in an iodine solution to help with the possibility of infection. Be sure to continue providing good water quality and keep the RFA in ideal conditions—indirectly light exposure, and sufficient rocks to attach to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new