Help silence my overflows!

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check my build thread for full details but I have three 3/4" drains and dual 3/4" returns. I'm running two Sicce 1.5s as returns so my return flow is maybe a combined 500gph, and probably a bit less.

I originally set up a bean animal strain system and it worked well and was quite quiet, but I decided to run a Clarisea instead of filter socks so I converted my drains to a dual Durso setup, running to a tee input to the Clarisea, and an emergency drain.

This solution has been sadly very noisy with a lot of trickling noise and splashing. I tried doing a pseudo bean animal by restricting the intake of one of the drains and leaving the other as a Durso but since this is tee'd into the Clarisea it never achieves a proper siphon and the water level in the overflow is constantly changing so my ATO will go crazy.

I could go back to strictly a bean animal solution but then one of the drains would bypass the Clarisea which defeats the purpose.

I'm not sure what my other options are here for noise control that also keeps all my drains plumbed into the Clarisea.

Ideas?

20190904_174116.jpg 20190904_174103.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried adding a hose through the hole in the top of the durso?

Start with a long piece (like 12") and make it a snug fit in the hole. Then work the hose all the way in until only a couple of inches is still outside the durso. Still making noise? Start pulling it up an inch at a time and be sure to give it a minute or two to stabilize the water flow. It's not a perfect solution, but it works pretty well.

BTW, I was just in Winnipeg last February. Visited a couple of nice museums, stayed in the Ft Gary Hotel (really nice) and ate in the rotating restaurant next door. Then we flew to Churchill to watch the Aurora Borealis. What a spectacular sight! We never get to see anything like that down here... but then we don't get to experience -35 degree Fahrenheit either!

image001 (4) R3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give that a shot tonight, I ordered some airline valves as well since some people seem to have success with those as well.

The city is great if you don't mind a little chill to the air in the winter :D

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my little HOB I had to put a piece of rigid tubing in the top of the strainer hole to silence it. It works pretty well so try that out.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give that a shot tonight, I ordered some airline valves as well since some people seem to have success with those as well.

The city is great if you don't mind a little chill to the air in the winter :D
You can also put a valve on the end of the air line to help dial in the exact about of air needed to the sypen. Find the best spot for the airline like mentioned above. Then you can use the valve to adjust the amount of air needed. Should be super quiet once dialed in.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay fiddled around a bit and actual found this worked the best. Air valve crammed right into the top of the Durso, no airline tubing at all.

A little trickle noise since I have the level of the overflow low but I don't mind that and I think it's better for surface skimming and gas exchange anyhow.

20190907_170828.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay fiddled around a bit and actual found this worked the best. Air valve crammed right into the top of the Durso, no airline tubing at all.

A little trickle noise since I have the level of the overflow low but I don't mind that and I think it's better for surface skimming and gas exchange anyhow.

20190907_170828.jpg
Nice job man.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back