Primary drain into sump depth??

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 180 gallon has a bean animal style overflow. I originally set this up with a clarisea filter roller (works great by the way!). Thing is, I want to try something different and possibly even run no mechanical filtration in the future.

So what I’ve done is purchased a filter sock holder bracket and a 7” sock. I want to remove the clarisea and run a sock for the time being. How deep should my drain pipe be in the sump/sock? Should it extend below the water level a couple of inches?

I’m just going to cut the pipe and use a coupling if I want to reinstall the clarisea.

IMG_3421.jpeg

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How deep should my drain pipe be in the sump/sock?
If you have a bean animal, you should have 3 drains running into the sump. You'll want the full siphon and Durso below the water line to keep them quieter, how far doesn't really matter. The emergency drain is best above the water line so you can hear if there is water running through it into the sump which would indicate a blocked main/2ndary drain.
I believe one or two inches to create the siphon on the return
Not sure what you mean by siphon on the return? The OP is talking about the drain line.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bean animal, you should have 3 drains running into the sump. You'll want the full siphon and Durso below the water line to keep them quieter, how far doesn't really matter. The emergency drain is best above the water line so you can hear if there is water running through it into the sump which would indicate a blocked main/2ndary drain.

Not sure what you mean by siphon on the return? The OP is talking about the drain line.
This is what I currently have set up…. Thing is my nutrients are lower than I’d like and the clarisea requires a lower flow rate therefore I have a waterfall noise in my overflow. I’m thinking if I remove the clarisea I can adjust the return to be quiet and also possibly raise my nitrate.

The clarisea does great! But maybe too well for what I want. Not to mention brs has had the replacement fleece rolls on back order for quite some time now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back