Help- Soft corals dying!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics

0F7D0C17-2167-47CD-8009-A07ABA3810DE.jpeg 500FCA48-A4C2-4722-8F94-73708D78989F.jpeg A26191CF-51AF-4173-B06A-2DC4CCB1536B.jpeg
Pull all that hair algae out by hand. That cottony affect tells me there are water quality issues.

OP
OP
Scud

Scud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull all that hair algae out by hand. That cottony affect tells me there are water quality issues.
I agree but Literally tested everything last night. Using Salifert test kits. Not showing any bad stuff- but yes there is an issue somewhere. I will pull out the red stuff tonight when I get home from work. Not sure what white cottony stuff you see- the green algae looks washed out in the photos. In reality it’s a mix of green with brown/red.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree but Literally tested everything last night. Using Salifert test kits. Not showing any bad stuff- but yes there is an issue somewhere. I will pull out the red stuff tonight when I get home from work
For a piece of mind, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to confirm the readings and compare with yours

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose Neophos (sp?) if you’re sure that zero phosphate and nitrates are the culprit. Also the frozen cube foods sold at petsmart and petco normally have a pretty good amount of phosphate in the mix (that’s why it is recommended to thaw completely before adding to the tank)
Another thing to mention is when the levels, Phos and Nitrate, get that low you could have Diatoms instead of Dinoflagellates. Most forms of dinos will develop very noticeable air bubbles when the lights are ON, where as diatoms will usually get more long and stringy with out visible appearance of air bubbles in the slime.
I had a very similar sounding issue to yours a while back and indeed the water was “too clean” and the Dr Tim’s recipe for Dino/ Diatoms worked well. It took a while, as it should, and it consisted of their Refresh and Waste-Away. The regimen can be found searching google pretty easy. In a newer tank it will probably help establish a good bacteria base as well. Not to mention if you’re pH is consistently low it may well be from decaying organics.
From the info you’ve given and my previous very similar situation, I truly feel the Dr Tim’s method mentioned earlier would be one of the best things to do.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give the low light, peroxide a shot. Was worried this was a Dino outbreak, and wondered if low nutrients was the reason.

I'd be leery of dosing peroxide while they are already stressed. While healthy corals will typically tolerate it, it's certainly not going to make them any happier in the short term.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd be leery of dosing peroxide while they are already stressed. While healthy corals will typically tolerate it, it's certainly not going to make them any happier in the short term.
I continue to dose daily at .5ml per 10 gals with NO effects and extremely happy corals and fish

Reefadict64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, the last 2 weeks my soft corals are all acting ****** off. Not opening up, and shrinking. GSP which was vibrant and spreading fast is now receding. Made no crazy changes that I can think of. Tank is fairly new, about 4 months old now. All fish and inverts seem totally happy.

Tank Specs-
40 gallon Breeder
Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter
5 gallon refugium (Chaeto/rubble)
2 koralia PH on opposite sides of tank

Lighting
2 165w Viparspectra reef lights
55% blue, 15% white
Blues are on 7 hours- whites are on for 4 hours of that 7.

Livestock
4 fish (bicolor Blenny, Kupang damsel, Firefish, scooter dragonet)
5 hermit crabs
8 snails
Several frags of Zoas, paly, mushrooms, Gsp.

Water Parameters
RODI from store
Salinity 1.027 (using Tropic Marin Salt according to lfs where I get water from)
Temp 76-79
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
Nitrates 0
Alk 8.0
PH 7
Don’t test for Mag/calcium
I do a 20% WC every 7-10 days.

wondering if low phosphates and nitrates could be the issue. I have over fed frozen mysis/ brine mix the last several days without any increase in phosphates, ammonia, or nitrates. Thought about dosing fertilizer for planted tanks.

I also having some what either looks like stringy Cyano or Dinos. Reddish in colors- comes and goes. Gets bad during the light cycles and seems to diminish at night- not completely- but to some extent. I have lots of amphipods, isopods, and what look like tiny copepods. I’ve examined the corals for parasites, I don’t see anything. Occasionally I’ll see an amphipod scurrying around the Gsp at night.

Any advice from experienced hobbyists would be greatly appreciated.

If your nitrate and phosphate is 0 then that’s definitely a problem especially for soft corals which like more nutrient rich water. You probably need to higher your nutrients which for me is a very good excuse to get new fish but if that isn’t an option I would just add more nutrients to the tank manually, hope this helps

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask how long they were in and happy to help rule out issues like lighting and flow.
Easiest way to get N and P up is to stop taking them out.
Can't say 100% that's the issue, but I see the same everyone else mentions.. with 0 phosphate, especially zoas shrivel right up.

Ripping out a lot of that algae should help. It won't be there to eat nitrate and phosphate any more. Looks like chemi-pure elite also has some gfo in it. Might pull that.

MarkLoveday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all seems to me that the tank isn't completely cycled.
I'd pull out those filters and do weekly water changes until you see improvements.
What's your CUC?
Astrea snails will have a feast on that hair algae
Throw about 20 in and keep up with the water changes.

Patience is virtue

OP
OP
Scud

Scud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not
You can dose Neophos (sp?) if you’re sure that zero phosphate and nitrates are the culprit. Also the frozen cube foods sold at petsmart and petco normally have a pretty good amount of phosphate in the mix (that’s why it is recommended to thaw completely before adding to the tank)
Another thing to mention is when the levels, Phos and Nitrate, get that low you could have Diatoms instead of Dinoflagellates. Most forms of dinos will develop very noticeable air bubbles when the lights are ON, where as diatoms will usually get more long and stringy with out visible appearance of air bubbles in the slime.
I had a very similar sounding issue to yours a while back and indeed the water was “too clean” and the Dr Tim’s recipe for Dino/ Diatoms worked well. It took a while, as it should, and it consisted of their Refresh and Waste-Away. The regimen can be found searching google pretty easy. In a newer tank it will probably help establish a good bacteria base as well. Not to mention if you’re pH is consistently low it may well be from decaying organics.
From the info you’ve given and my previous very similar situation, I truly feel the Dr Tim’s method mentioned earlier would be one of the best things to do.
I May give that a try- thank you

OP
OP
Scud

Scud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all seems to me that the tank isn't completely cycled.
I'd pull out those filters and do weekly water changes until you see improvements.
What's your CUC?
Astrea snails will have a feast on that hair algae
Throw about 20 in and keep up with the water changes.

Patience is virtue

CUC-
2 dwarf zebra hermits
1 dwarf blue leg hermit
1 Cortez hermit
1 red legged hermit

2 astrea snails
4 banded trochus snails
1 blotched nassarius
2 nerites

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CUC-
2 dwarf zebra hermits
1 dwarf blue leg hermit
1 Cortez hermit
1 red legged hermit

2 astrea snails
4 banded trochus snails
1 blotched nassarius
2 nerites
Ud doubl

id double the amount of CUC you have in hand

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back