help sps coral seem to fading and bleaching...

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week, I started to notice some of my corals have been acting strange. Some of my sps corals like the green slimmer lost coloration begin to fade and started to bleach. I did a testing and see what's going on...
  • Alk =12
  • Cal=420
  • Pho=0 or 0.25
  • nitrite= 0
my Alk was pretty high so I did a water changes and got it down to 10. now I'm seeing that my Monti cap is also losing coloration.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are starving with 0 nitrates alk that high isnt helping either but you already know that.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my frogspawn euphyllia is also receding, could that be also low nitrates?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the ALK to NSW levels and feed the fish a small amount 2-3 times a day to start. This will help raise the nutrient levels and your fish will be happy. If you start to see increased algae growth, cut back. You could also dose a product like Red Sea's Reef Energy A+B.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the ALK to NSW levels and feed the fish a small amount 2-3 times a day to start. This will help raise the nutrient levels and your fish will be happy. If you start to see increased algae growth, cut back. You could also dose a product like Red Sea's Reef Energy A+B.
I'll stop by my local fish store near my work and grab it thanks!

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you include any pictures of the corals. How old is the tank? What is the lighting? What do you use for flow? I agree that you should keep the alk closer to 8. The quick drop in alk from 12-10 could be an issue as well. Stable alk is important for SPS. Do you supplement your alk with anything? What salt mix do you use? In my experience, you can keep sps with low nutrients if you keep your alk around 8 and your lighting is not too intense. You just might not get the best growth.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you include any pictures of the corals. How old is the tank? What is the lighting? What do you use for flow? I agree that you should keep the alk closer to 8. The quick drop in alk from 12-10 could be an issue as well. Stable alk is important for SPS. Do you supplement your alk with anything? What salt mix do you use? In my experience, you can keep sps with low nutrients if you keep your alk around 8 and your lighting is not too intense. You just might not get the best growth.
No pics at the moment, my tank is about 2 years old, SCA 50 gallon almost cube. I'm using jebao RW -8 wavemaker also my return is jebao dct 8000
I'm dosing 2 parts A and B from B-Ionic. currently using red sea pro salt. I have AI hydra 24 HD about 8 inches over the Water. Running 50%

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics at the moment, my tank is about 2 years old, SCA 50 gallon almost cube. I'm using jebao RW -8 wavemaker also my return is jebao dct 8000
I'm dosing 2 parts A and B from B-Ionic. currently using red sea pro salt. I have AI hydra 24 HD about 8 inches over the Water. Running 50%

Without seeing any pictures and with this information, I would say the advice above is best. Lower alk, increase some nutrients and keep things stable. I assume when you said nitrite in your original post, you meant nitrate, correct? I think we have all been making that assumption.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing any pictures and with this information, I would say the advice above is best. Lower alk, increase some nutrients and keep things stable. I assume when you said nitrite in your original post, you meant nitrate, correct? I think we have all been making that assumption.
yes but both nitrate and nitrite both at zero. ill upload some pictures after work, but yeah I'm trying to low alk to 8.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back