[Help] Tank showing 0 nitrates/phosphates?

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,

Simply put, I transfered a cycled 1> month old tank into a new reefer 250. I used probably 20 gallons from the tank, and around 40 gallons of fresh salt water. However since I have transfered, I have been getting 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates. There is visible algae (I think) that grows on my class, rock surfaces, and on my frags. However it still shoes 0. I have added extra frozen fish food, and still no change. I also run a protein skimmer in a sump, I have a filter sock that is rather dirty and needs changing, and I added carbon around a week ago. Lastly, I had noticed thousands of tiny bugs on the glass most likely copepods, however in the past couple of days I hadn't noticed any at all.

It's been over two weeks since I upgraded my tank, and I am not sure what to do. Why are they all still showing 0? Isn't it bad to be at 0 nitrates? How can I get my nitrates up if extra food doesn't work? Is it safe to do a water change? I don't want to strip what little nutrients is in the water. Please let me know if I can clarify or elaborate on anything.

Values:
- 78.3 F
- 33.7 salinity
- Nitrite/nitrate/ammonia: 0
- pH: 8.2
- Alkalinity: 6/2.14 (going to add red sea coraline stuff to boost it)
- Phosphate: 0-0.03, but closer to 0 as I can hardly see a slight tint of blue but not enough to. be 0.03
- Ca: 445
- Mg: 1500+ (did whole syringe and got no colour change. Added in a couple more drops and it changed)

Test kits:
- Red sea for nitrite/nitrate/ammonia/pH/Alk,
- Phosphate, ca, mg, I am not sure what test kit I use, no brand name on the bottles
- Hanna temp/salinity checker calibrated recently.

Livestock:
- A 10-20lb live rock.
- BTA, transferred over with tank
- two clowns, added 11/26
- 10 zoanthid frags, 2 carried over, 8 new ones added 1-2 weeks ago
- yellow watchmen goby, added 11/23
- Tigert pistol shrimp, added 11/23
- GSP, carried over
- Cyphastrea frags, added 1-2 weeks
- Millepora frag, added 1-2 weeks ago
- 3 astrea snails, 7 trochus snails, 4 nasaria snails, 3-4 hermit crabs, carried over & newly added.

Feeding:
- I have been adding a 1/3rd of a frozen cube of shrimp for my clowns and to get nitrate up, about 1-2 times a day
- I add AB+ coral food from red sea every couple of days

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your fish and corals reacting to the change? That is the biggest indicator. The fact that you're seeing algae growth is a good sign and can help explain the low nitrate and phosphate. I personally would replace your unknown test kits with ones you trust. Just for peace of mind.

Your Mag seems very high, and your Alk is pretty low for corals (not sure about the red sea coraline stuff). A series of water changes may help get them back in line.

I would say to keep a close eye on your parameters (especially ammonia) during this transitional period, but as long as the fish and corals are doing well, don't go overboard with the feeding. You may want to add some diversity to the diet though. Maybe a high quality pellet? It's going to take some time for the tank to find it's equilibrium.

Upvote 0

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your fish and corals reacting to the change? That is the biggest indicator. The fact that you're seeing algae growth is a good sign and can help explain the low nitrate and phosphate. I personally would replace your unknown test kits with ones you trust. Just for peace of mind.

Your Mag seems very high, and your Alk is pretty low for corals (not sure about the red sea coraline stuff). A series of water changes may help get them back in line.

I would say to keep a close eye on your parameters (especially ammonia) during this transitional period, but as long as the fish and corals are doing well, don't go overboard with the feeding. You may want to add some diversity to the diet though. Maybe a high quality pellet? It's going to take some time for the tank to find it's equilibrium.

+1

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all!
Yes AFAIK as an inexperienced reeder, they are doing well. All corals are opening up very nicely during the day, fish look happy and are curious. I had one coral bleach but it was like that as soon as I got it (got a pack of frags from local dude).

I’ll do a 20% water change today and re measure alk and Mg. I’ll also check LFS for diversity. Currently I have dry brine shrine cubes and frozen misis shrimp cubes. What others would you recommend?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25C9850F-68D6-49FE-B69C-929E0D9C3E56.jpeg

I just noticed this one zoanthid frag I have has apthasia (is that the name?) in between its polyps. And has these long red/brown hairs coming out of the centre of the polyps. But here’s some pics I just took of others.
D593F680-D04C-447C-9069-23A651D96B6B.jpeg
DD75C0BE-49EC-46B5-B81E-FF54A55A7F09.jpeg

Upvote 0

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't drastically (or even at all) raise your Alk until you start getting some N&P readings.
Yes 6 dKH is quite low but you could easily lose your SPS if you raise it quickly. They've been hanging on at that low level so don't shock them.

Dose N&P until you get some consistent low readings (1-2ppm and 0.03), then slowly raise your Alk over weeks or even months up to a final of about 7.5/7.7
Then when you've got N&P under control, say 2-5 and 0.03-0.06, you can consider Alk up to 8.0 for faster growth, but not until you know your nutrient levels are stable. Or just keep your nutrients on the low end and Alk in the range I mentioned of 7.5/7.7
You'll get slower growth but much better colors as the flesh growth keeps up with the skeletal growth

Upvote 0

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My mag is always high. It might be the test for some reason. It sounds like you have Red Sea foundation pro like I do. These guys are all great to help!

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back