OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress on the fishroom and garage conversion because ive had to do some honey do's and make storage space for other stuff since the garage is turning into more like living space.

Was not going to post these pics, but if thought it might motivate someone so what the heck.

Added a proper attic above the garage. This way the garage/man-fishroom wont be cluttered with anything i dont want in there.

Had to insulate up there anyway, but this is actually a pretty cool attic now. Putting in built in shelves on both sides, so tons of storage space. Its about 23 feet long and 8 feet wide, not including 3 feet of shelving on both sides. The peak is about 6'6" so i stand there, which is nice.

That way fish can be center stage in the garage. Decided to make the bar around the tank bigger now too.

20201114_144329.jpg
20201114_144355.jpg
20201114_144403.jpg
20201115_181419.jpg
20201122_173033.jpg
20201122_173021.jpg

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, mine gets here early next week.

Harbor freight has dollies on sale for $11 for the delivery guy to set it on... that way you can move it about. Youll need a couple pieces of like 30" or so by 18 " or so plywood to set on dollies. But i can roll this thing around my garage with one hand pushing!

Also, comes with netted top. They said it wouldnt but it does :)

Roadrunner will likely have to put on lift gate length wise, just watch them and help them if they'll let u. It's a bit nerve racking cause it could fall off the lift if theyre not careful...

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor freight has dollies on sale for $11 for the delivery guy to set it on... that way you can move it about. Youll need a couple pieces of like 30" or so by 18 " or so plywood to set on dollies. But i can roll this thing around my garage with one hand pushing!

Also, comes with netted top. They said it wouldnt but it does :)

Roadrunner will likely have to put on lift gate length wise, just watch them and help them if they'll let u. It's a bit nerve racking cause it could fall off the lift if theyre not careful...
Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to your build.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your build? What have you chose for a sump? What made you choose IM over Red Sea, Waterbox, Planet Aquarium ect... Especially cause 2 of the 3 provide plumbing and sump.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your build? What have you chose for a sump? What made you choose IM over Red Sea, Waterbox, Planet Aquarium ect... Especially cause 2 of the 3 provide plumbing and sump.

I have some deadlines for work, so slowly getting this setup.

I went with innovative marine because of the nice alluminum stand, eurobracing (strength and keeps water from splashing out), external glass overflow, and i wanted a nicer sump.

I also have a dedicated fish room so sump wont be under tank.

I already have a IM 20 gallon-- and theyre just very nice. So why change a good thing too?!

The sump was ordered a few days ago, synergy:

Screenshot_20201217-101558_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-101639_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Question:

What color walls for the garage with a grey floor???

I was think a blue like Behr Thunderstorm:
Screenshot_20201217-102559_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Should i go more blue for the walls?

I did finish the attic for storing stuff:) that way garage is pure man cave hangout space:

20201212_213248.jpg

42841.jpeg
20201212_213324.jpg

20201212_213235.jpg

Last edited:

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some deadlines for work, so slowly getting this setup.

I went with innovative marine because of the nice alluminum stand, eurobracing (strength and keeps water from splashing out), external glass overflow, and i wanted a nicer sump.

I also have a dedicated fish room so sump wont be under tank.

I already have a IM 20 gallon-- and theyre just very nice. So why change a good thing too?!

The sump was ordered a few days ago, synergy:

Screenshot_20201217-101558_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-101639_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Question:

What color walls for the garage with a grey floor???

I was think a blue like Behr Thunderstorm:
Screenshot_20201217-102559_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Should i go more blue for the walls?

I did finish the attic for storing stuff:) that way garage is pure man cave hangout space:

20201212_213248.jpg

42841.jpeg
20201212_213324.jpg

20201212_213235.jpg
How big is that sump? I need to do this to my attic so I can move all my tanks to the garage.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, exciting! I just bought the same 200G IM EXT peninsula tank late Nov when they were on sale. I went with the geos reef sump, can't wait to see how your build goes, and don't forget to join the PNW reefers group if you want.
Sounds great, will do! Thanks for invite!

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Lifereef skimmer, and 8 bulb ATI fixture, both used. Thanks guys!

Adding a canopy above the tank that comes out from the wall.

Inside the light canopy, adding four Kessil 360X's and two Kessil 160's on track lighting rails, on the sides of the canopy. Using swivel mounts for the kessils, i'll be able add angled supplementary spot lights where desired.

Was going to go aqualife hybrid, but this is more custom, more light, and more fun to build and plan :)

Should have pics in the coming month or two.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Lifereef skimmer, and 8 bulb ATI fixture, both used. Thanks guys!

Adding a canopy above the tank that comes out from the wall.

Inside the light canopy, adding four Kessil 360X's and two Kessil 160's on track lighting rails, on the sides of the canopy. Using swivel mounts for the kessils, i'll be able add angled supplementary spot lights where desired.

Was going to go aqualife hybrid, but this is more custom, more light, and more fun to build and plan :)

Should have pics in the coming month or two.
I was thinking of going with Kessil + XHO, but now I think I'm gonna wait to see the BRS review of the Neptune Sky. It's gonna be a few months at least before I can start turning on lights anyway.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of going with Kessil + XHO, but now I think I'm gonna wait to see the BRS review of the Neptune Sky. It's gonna be a few months at least before I can start turning on lights anyway.

I'm sure they'll be good too! I was thinking to do a Neptune--everything--at one point, but ive gravitated away from that. Sometimes think about going back that way.

Really wish their wave makers didn't require apex, just not ready/convinced to go apex.

Looking at hydros controller and vera dosers and mp 60's for next pick ups.

Amazing how one's mind changes...

I have two mp40's, got used, so those will get me going. But i think i want two or four mp60's installed all on the overflow end.

Went ehiem on the return pumps. Something about not cleaning, or worrying about them, for long periods of time made me get those.

The floating type lighting canopy im putting in im trying to future proof. Kessils will line the outside of the canopy facing down and in. That gives me that shimmer i love and the full spectrum is simple for coral health.

The large middle section of the canopy I'll be able to swap out, with whatever is latest and greatest, but for a while i think ill cling to t5's for as long as possible. Just love them and knowing corals will grow like weeds!

I've run the bulbs, in the past, for a couple years before without issue. Probably do the same again.

But those reefbrites could be bolted right on the ATI fixture, so that would be cool. I did see them in person just a bit ago and they do look very nice. Very sharp, very natural pop, was my impression. Lack shimmer though.

I would probably have to remove a couple t5's, with XHO's, T5's, and kessils---else get the hamburgers out for the bbq....lol

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they'll be good too! I was thinking to do a Neptune--everything--at one point, but ive gravitated away from that. Sometimes think about going back that way.

Really wish their wave makers didn't require apex, just not ready/convinced to go apex.

Looking at hydros controller and vera dosers and mp 60's for next pick ups.

Amazing how one's mind changes...

I have two mp40's, got used, so those will get me going. But i think i want two or four mp60's installed all on the overflow end.

Went ehiem on the return pumps. Something about not cleaning, or worrying about them, for long periods of time made me get those.

The floating type lighting canopy im putting in im trying to future proof. Kessils will line the outside of the canopy facing down and in. That gives me that shimmer i love and the full spectrum is simple for coral health.

The large middle section of the canopy I'll be able to swap out, with whatever is latest and greatest, but for a while i think ill cling to t5's for as long as possible. Just love them and knowing corals will grow like weeds!

I've run the bulbs, in the past, for a couple years before without issue. Probably do the same again.

But those reefbrites could be bolted right on the ATI fixture, so that would be cool. I did see them in person just a bit ago and they do look very nice. Very sharp, very natural pop, was my impression. Lack shimmer though.

I would probably have to remove a couple t5's, with XHO's, T5's, and kessils---else get the hamburgers out for the bbq....lol
I'm the opposite from you, I've been out of the hobby for a while and had no idea about how far automation has come, so as soon as I found out about the apex a few months back I was hard core back in in an instant. I know what automation can do for computers, I can't wait to play around with it AND have a reef tank again :D.

I am also going to go with 4 MP60's at the overflow end and a maxspect gyre XF350 at the far end.

I thought about going really expensive on the return pump, but then I figured if I double up on the cor-20's, then I'll have redundancy, and I'll have monitoring with the Apex to let me know the second one fails.

I've seen lots of people bolt a reefbrite to their T5 fixtures, seems like a repeatable way to get results for sure.

Question: Do you plan on putting your tank away from the wall to make room for plumbing, or are you going to have a hole in the wall and put the tank right up against it? I can't decide, but I'm leaning towards cutting a hole large enough to access the entire back of the overflow side with a few inches on top to access the overflow itself and then mount some molding on a hinge to cover the gap.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the red sea gyre before you maxaspect. I think i would prefer the red sea if got one. The hole in the wall will be the entire back of the tank for ease of maintaining. Some small trim/molding will take care of any gap. I'm not against automation--just not sure apex is the best route. It's pretty proprietary in design (does not play well with other brands all the time) and the hydros seems to be more versatile in many regards. Check it out. My buddy has the GHL and the quality of the equipment is much better than apex if hardware matters to you. That said, apex is popular, lots of people to answer questions, easy software, and certainly works. The trident is very nice it seems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little time when the little one went to bed last night to clean up the 20 gallon nano:

20201225_203726.jpg
20201225_203656.jpg
20201225_203605.jpg

Rearranged some rocks and corals and removed the frag racks. I really dont like the look of frag racks, and im thinking i just keep this a nano display rather than turn it into a frag rack. It's right next to my desk in my home office, so display nano seems like the right call.

Put two clowns, a six line wrasse, and a copperband in it for now. Figure corals will like some fish poop. Maybe move these fish into the 200 gallon, maybe not. Thinking ill let these corals growout, no new additions (just went 90 days of fallow), and take some frags from some of these for corals for the 200 gallon in six months or so.

Ordered some custom cut black anodized aluminum sheets and square tubing, stainless black oxide coated screws, to make a custom hood. Running an aqua c remora and cpr hang on refugium, so the hood will hide that gear. (Side note, Current Marine Loop lights and wave makers are totally awesome for nanos! Simple, low cost, all in one system for lights, and wavemaker.... i add kessils for more shimmer and because why not?-- but not needed. The light from Current is nice color and pop, and some shimmer too).

Definitely need a controllet and equipment box. I think one would look good above the top off reservoir.

Anyone a good thread or plans for dyi controller boxes? 20201225_205210.jpg

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with DIY controllers, but this one seems pretty popular among the community:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back