OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up the quarantine tank area. With some fish done with QT, and in the 20 gallon nano, i reduced the number of QT tanks to two.

20210101_103148.jpg
20210101_102616.jpg
20210101_102550.jpg

Also ordered a ten gallon innovative marine as a coral and invert quarantine-frag tank. That size fits perfectly in my home office next to the 20 gallon nano.

I was just looking for a controller board to house the 20 gallon nano display gear, but for a little extea money the alluminum stand on the 10 gallon will do that nicely with just minor additions like pvc foam board!

Ill put the acrylic auto top off tank under the 20 gallon nano and then controls to both tanks go under the 10 gallon.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy who got me back into the hobby did a canopy with 8020 and it's sweet. He's waiting 'til the tank grows out before posting pics but it's a ridiculously nice system and tank. High end everything, even a gem tang, and amazing corals, lots of euphilia of all sorts and SPS higher up. I'll sneak a pic and PM u it.

The alluminum i got was from https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/anodized-aluminum

I like the easy custom cut ordering.

Just a few pieces i got.

Ended up getting some High Density Polyethylene to cut up and use as a frame to mount the sheet aluminum on.

We'll see how my finish carpentry skills turn out there?! The poly was inexpensive so thought id give it a go. I have an idea in my mind and some decent tools so shouldnt screw it up too bad!

Next couple weekends will be work work, unfortunately, but come end of the month or February aiming to make some serious progress on the 200 gallon and all things reef!

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big pile of goodies piling up just begging to be installed!

Latest edition is electronic light mount. Went with a rising stand up desk frame to hang from the ceiling. I should have about 20 inches from the top of tank to adjust the light assembly up and down with a prewired remote!

I
Screenshot_20210110-115024_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-115001_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-115024_Gallery.jpg

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is some top level thinking there. I ended up going with a tubular motor (meant for blinds, shades etc). Will see how that works. Costed about the same.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is some top level thinking there. I ended up going with a tubular motor (meant for blinds, shades etc). Will see how that works. Costed about the same.

Show me what you're doing with the blind/shade motor, would love to see! I think some stainless wire to raise and lower would be awesome, super low profile!

The desk stand idea i got from a video on "Parker's Reef." He's an Australian guy.

He didn't mount the rising desk frame from from the ceiling though, rather he had them behind his tank, hidden in a canopy above his tank, and they raised his lights that way; the lights were mounted on some aluminum rails that the desk frame raised. I think his ceilings would be too low to do it the way i am thinking.... But from the ceiling, i think it will look a lot more clean without the need for a cabinet to hide the mechanics and gear.
I love the way you think. How are you gonna secure it to the ceiling?

If you look at the reviews and pictures of it being install, it comes in pieces:

1610341339096.png

If i take these two main pieces:

1610342681499.png

My thought is i can just bolt those two piece directly to the ceiling joists with some pretty good size bolts. Luckily, herds of 2 x 4's twenty four inches on center are above the area for my tank to screw into...

1610342243730.png

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saw this in a search if you haven't... looks super cool! Defintely scroll to the last page, nice one there.

or heavy duty:

full kit:

and here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WUFia0ZyTktZdEpKSENteHlZSC1nY01meWhmU2RR
and dang!!:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay--@VikS--you got me to switch up my plans! LOL! :)

The motorized blind kit: https://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=416635

1610346985934.png

59 inches long is perfect and this will allow me to raise the lights even higher towards the ceiling than the standing desk--almost to ceiling entirely. Also the steel wire is lower profile.... Holds 200 pounds, it's got remote control options, so that will work.

Canceled the standing desk order and $300 later--we're going to have a pretty similar setup! hahaha. Thanks man!

Last edited:

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The motorized blind kit: https://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=416635

1610346985934.png

At 59 inches, this will allow me to raise the lights even more the standing desk--almost to ceiling. Also the steel wire is lower profile.... Holds 200 pounds, it's go remote control options, so that will work.

Cancel the standing desk order and $300 later--we're going to have a pretty similar setup! hahaha. Thanks man!
Yup, this is the one. I got this one specifically: http://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=416536
(need to add the rod separately, it shows up in customers also bought...)

I found this thread where someone actually used this and posted a lot of pics. Very helpful. (Post#22). https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/motorized-raising-lowering-of-light-fixture.383727/page-2

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, this is the one. I got this one specifically: http://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=416536
(need to add the rod separately, it shows up in customers also bought...)

I found this thread where someone actually used this and posted a lot of pics. Very helpful. (Post#22). https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/motorized-raising-lowering-of-light-fixture.383727/page-2

What are you using for stainless wire and mounting brackets? Anything extra beefy? Or just what came with your lights? What's your light fixture again?

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for stainless wire and mounting brackets? Anything extra beefy? Or just what came with your lights? What's your light fixture again?
Just the one that came with the lights. I am using a Giesemann Spectra. It’s less than 40 pounds.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the one that came with the lights. I am using a Giesemann Spectra. It’s less than 40 pounds.

Love it. Halides rock!

I think my light could be in the 100 pound range: Six kessils on aluminum rails, ATI 8 bulb fixture (60"), mounting gear to hold that stuff together, and then 6 or 8 inch trim around all the lights to match the same color trim in the same room and hide the light/reduce light spill...

But it seems 100 pounds or so is just fine... (although if it fails it could/would be catastrophic potentially!! lol)

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1610346985934.png

59 inches long is perfect and this will allow me to raise the lights even higher towards the ceiling than the standing desk--almost to ceiling entirely. Also the steel wire is lower profile.... Holds 200 pounds, it's got remote control options, so that will work.

Canceled the standing desk order and $300 later--we're going to have a pretty similar setup! hahaha. Thanks man!
Did you get your order in? I wanted to hang mine tonight but it has no instructions and the motor did not work in the first go.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got it tonight and have not opened the box yet. I bought this one, which might be a little different model: https://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=416635

The bottom of the page says:

"It is very easy to install: insert motor into one end of the tube and insert the idler to other end of the tube, install motor bracket and idler bracket to overhead structure, and hang motor tube assembly to the brackets."

So maybe something is wrong with your particular unit if it's not "very easy to install" and get working????

Is it the remote not working or the motor?

Try changing/adding batteries remote, and little things like that??

does it just plug into the wall? I see no 110 volt plug on the pics online...

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got it tonight and have not opened the box yet. I bought this one, which might be a little different model: https://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=416635

The bottom of the page says:

"It is very easy to install: insert motor into one end of the tube and insert the idler to other end of the tube, install motor bracket and idler bracket to overhead structure, and hang motor tube assembly to the brackets."

So maybe something is wrong with your particular unit if it's not "very easy to install" and get working????

Is it the remote not working or the motor?

Try changing/adding batteries remote, and little things like that??
Thanks, I got past the remote problem. I emailed them for the instruction manual and then responded back within 5 mins. I was pleasantly surprised.

Now the problem is that the motor moves but the pipe does not. I think I need to drill a hole in the pipe and somehow insert a cotton pin through the tail end of the shaft through the pipe. This will connect the pipe to the motor. (See pic of shaft.).
FF3220FD-38F3-48E4-B36A-3B9045A16878.jpeg
I will call them Monday.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back