OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I come over for a beer when it's done? :D I just plumbed my saltwater mixing station today.
Sweet, hell yeah. In addition to the homebrew set up, and kegerator, even bought a very nice still for making any thing from vodka, to gin, to whiskeys! combo reflux and pot still... learning there but formally educated on the brewing so i think i can do it..

Anyway, anytime-- free booze and brews and frags too... thats the idea anyway...

We live on a dead end gravel street right near the harbor... all the neighbors have garage bars and just open the doors in the summer... so trying add to the neighborhood, lol!

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick impulsive change in lighting set up, lol...

1621805218480.png

and
1621804473775.png

Four Kessil 500X's (35 degree reflectors) and six Kessil 360X's (35 degree reflectors). Parallel rows of 5 every foot lengthsie, each using the recessed aluminum light trim above, is the thought...

Then an ATI 8 bulb T-5 fixture and 2 Actinic Reefbrite LEDs down the middle of the tank.

Everything recessed in the ceiling.

Basic installation: T5 fixture will still be able to be lowered and raised electronically for maintenance and access to the Kessils and electronics... Basically a hole in the canopy ceiling the size of the T5 fixture for the t5 fixture to go up and into the canopy for lighting and then to drop down for maintenance and access to kessils--if that makes sense..

All of the lights will be about 34 inches from the top of the tank... So that's almost five feet to the bottom of the tank... Thoughts on making this work better or installation or controlling light spill???

Pretty sure i want totally recessed lighting after watch the BRS video on the Kessil 500X's! I think this is doable based on the wordwide corals tank with radiums many feet about it... thoughts?

Last edited:

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick impulsive change in lighting set up, lol...

1621805218480.png

and
1621804473775.png

Four Kessil 500X's (35 degree reflectors) and six Kessil 360X's (35 degree reflectors). Parallel rows of 5 every foot lengthsie, each using the recessed aluminum light trim above, is the thought...

Then an ATI 8 bulb T-5 fixture and 2 Actinic Reefbrite LEDs down the middle of the tank.

Everything recessed in the ceiling.

Basic installation: T5 fixture will still be able to be lowered and raised electronically for maintenance and access to the Kessils and electronics... Basically a hole in the canopy ceiling the size of the T5 fixture for the t5 fixture to go up and into the canopy for lighting and then to drop down for maintenance and access to kessils--if that makes sense..

All of the lights will be about 34 inches from the top of the tank... So that's almost five feet to the bottom of the tank... Thoughts on making this work better or installation or controlling light spill???

Pretty sure i want totally recessed lighting after watch the BRS video on the Kessil 500X's! I think this is doable based on the wordwide corals tank with radiums many feet about it... thoughts?

That should be a lot of light I would think.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dialed in framing for lights. Had to raise the garage door lifter motor/assembly.

T5's and reefbrites (ATI Fixture with add on reefbrights) in middle. Can be raised and lowered for maintenance. Kessul 500x's and 360x's mounted flush with the ceiling on tracks. Bar around the base of the tank...

Fun just building this as i go for sure!!

tank with lights.jpg

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dialed in framing for lights. Had to raise the garage door lifter motor/assembly.

T5's and reefbrites (ATI Fixture with add on reefbrights) in middle. Can be raised and lowered for maintenance. Kessul 500x's and 360x's mounted flush with the ceiling on tracks. Bar around the base of the tank...

tank with lights.jpg

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank with lights.jpg
Are you building this all on your own or have hired help? It looks very professional and way beyond what I can do.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you building this all on your own or have hired help? It looks very professional and way beyond what I can do.

Thanks man! Just by myself. Twenty years ago i worked as a framer for a couple years, so as long as i stick to what i know, i can do alright :)

The garage is more challenging because the floor is purposesly not level (slopes down towards the garage doors to let out water). So i have to be careful or lines, walls, etc can look not straight. The tank and lights will be 100% level, with a combination of leveling where the stand sits and adjusting the canopy framing. I can hide the slope in the trim so you wont notice... Thats the goal anyway!

My buddy has helped with electrical, that's his professuon, and something i need done right with wife and kids and all...

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Just by myself. Twenty years ago i worked as a framer for a couple years, so as long as i stick to what i know, i can do alright :)

The garage is more challenging because the floor is purposesly not level (slopes down towards the garage doors to let out water). So i have to be careful or lines, walls, etc can look not straight. The tank and lights will be 100% level, with a combination of leveling where the stand sits and adjusting the canopy framing. I can hide the slope in the trim so you wont notice... Thats the goal anyway!

My buddy has helped with electrical, that's his professuon, and something i need done right with wife and kids and all...
When do you think your tank will see water? One of things I was worried about is not much warranty remaining on the tank if it keeps sitting.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i can get water it by the end of June, working one partial day each weekend. The warranty is a good point, but compared to the cost of the remodel, gear, and eventual livestock--it's a lesser expense in actuality.

This is my fourth IM tank, and im really impressed with the build quality so i guess i havent worried about it! At least if it leaks, its the garage and six inches lower than my house, lol...

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i can get water it by the end of June, working one partial day each weekend. The warranty is a good point, but compared to the cost of the remodel, gear, and eventual livestock--it's a lesser expense in actuality.

This is my fourth IM tank, and im really impressed with the build quality so i guess i havent worried about it! At least if it leaks, its the garage and six inches lower than my house, lol...
if its a slow leak, that's half a auto water change for free! LOL

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i had a buddy good with electrical. i got a quote for $1000 for 1 outlet on 1 20amp circuit about 10 ft from the panel
I have 3, all brand new, all dry still. i really like them, they seem very well made and really nice to look at (even when dry and empty :D)

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i had a buddy good with electrical. i got a quote for $1000 for 1 outlet on 1 20amp circuit about 10 ft from the panel

I have 3, all brand new, all dry still. i really like them, they seem very well made and really nice to look at (even when dry and empty :D)

I know how u feel!! My 200 gallon has not been out of its wooden box, lol!!

I still love walking past it, lol. Soon enough. And actually the slow build up process has allowed me to plan things a lot better and thorough, so i can't complain!

Nothing great happens quickly. I had to build an attic to replace the garage i was taking over as a fishroom!

If all you have is a single 20 amp being added, maybe you could read up doing it yourself or maybe fish the wires and put in the outlet yourself?

Where are you living? I think my buddy is leaving his union gig and starting to work for a small electrician gig. He might be cheaper than $1000.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how u feel!! My 200 gallon has not been out of its wooden box, lol!!

I still love walking past it, lol. Soon enough. And actually the slow build up process has allowed me to plan things a lot better and thorough, so i can't complain!

Nothing great happens quickly. I had to build an attic to replace the garage i was taking over as a fishroom!

If all you have is a single 20 amp being added, maybe you could read up doing it yourself or maybe fish the wires and put in the outlet yourself?

Where are you living? I think my buddy is leaving his union gig and starting to work for a small electrician gig. He might be cheaper than $1000.
I live in between Snohomish and Monroe. When the weather cools off this week I probably will put in the outlets and run the wires myself the only thing I’m a little nervous about is putting the circuit breaker in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back