HELP! These things have took over this rock!

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lady I know was downsizing so i took her reef tank and added it to my collection haha. She told me these things are hydroids. She obviously didn't keep the tank cleaned like it needed to be, it's definitely an ongoing project to get it right. They have long tubs and fuzzy type tops that disappear kinda like feather dusters. They are seeded pretty deep in the rock. Any one have suggestions on how to get rid of them, at this point I'll do about anything.. it's nearly impossible to pick them out one by one.

20210728_065403.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A lady I know was downsizing so i took her reef tank and added it to my collection haha. She told me these things are hydroids. She obviously didn't keep the tank cleaned like it needed to be, it's definitely an ongoing project to get it right. They have long tubs and fuzzy type tops that disappear kinda like feather dusters. They are seeded pretty deep in the rock. Any one have suggestions on how to get rid of them, at this point I'll do about anything.. it's nearly impossible to pick them out one by one.

20210728_065403.jpg
Colonial Hydroids they are . It was Not an issue of keeping tank clean but rather too much food. They grow quickly when there’s ample food source.
starve them and they will be no more. They use the fans to capture food. Simply direct water flow towards them, Not at them and they will not get any food a wilt away. Reduce also the amount of food added to the tank while you battle them

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial Hydroids they are . It was Not an issue of keeping tank clean but rather too much food. They grow quickly when there’s ample food source.
starve them and they will be no more. They use the fans to capture food. Simply direct water flow towards them, Not at them and they will not get any food a wilt away. Reduce also the amount of food added to the tank while you battle them
Okay thanks! So put a some water flow around it to keep it from getting food and not feed as much.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210728_065403.jpg
I've heard of aiptasia eating filefish eating them. Not sure if there were any aiptasia in the tank at the time and/or if it transitioned to the hydroids??

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried about those green striped mushrooms and brown palys as well ;) .
Haha oh yeah, i have fragged out a bunch already and still have those to do and trashed all several hundred really ugly brown palys (they aren't pictured) When she gave me the system a month ago it was a mess but it has been kinda fun fixing it up lol.

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of aiptasia eating filefish eating them. Not sure if there were any aiptasia in the tank at the time and/or if it transitioned to the hydroids??
I've only found 1 aiptasia and i killed it by injecting boiling hot water with a syringe

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back