HELP! Tiger conche snail shell peeling off?

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 problems but I am not sure if they are related so I am posting both of them here. I have a 55gal with 2 clownfish and inverts include blue legged and scarlet hermits, tiger conche snails, 1 turbo snail, 2 (now 1 rip) trochus snails and 2 bumblebee snails.

1. I have 6 tiger conche snails and one of them looks like his shell is peeling off. I have included a picture of him. It looks like his a piece of his shell over the stripes is missing and now is a white spot. I think it is peeling off because earlier I saw something that looked like the missing part of the shell but I did not take a picture and can no longer find it. Is there anything I can do for him?

2. I have seen this weird brownish/ dark orange circular thing floating around. I recently had a trochus snail die. He may have been murdered by crabs (or they just ate him post- death). The weird circle thing was near the dead snail so it may have something to do with that. I have a picture of it in the tank. It doesn't float but has moved around with the flow of the tank. Should I be concerned?

IMG_0439.jpeg IMG_0438.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shell looks fine in the first image; at some point it will get encrusted with algae anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

The orange/brown disc thing is all that remains of your snail. It's not harmful in the slightest and you can either leave or remove it.

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shell looks fine in the first image; at some point it will get encrusted with algae anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

The orange/brown disc thing is all that remains of your snail. It's not harmful in the slightest and you can either leave or remove it.
Thank you!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the shell lining peel off one of my conches after I got it. 2 years later he is still fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back