Help to find this Canopy/hood Door. (flew off on highway)

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any idea how to get one, or you have or your buddy has this hood sitting in storage I will buy one door and pay shipping and add in moe money for a 6 pack. Need this door for my ocd, just doesn't look right without. Forgot to strap it on the way home from buying the tank and flew off goin 75 on the interstate never to be seen again... Thanks for any help to the cause :)
442366151_1659267374880906_2052890423251582642_n.jpg

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that happened. New fear unlocked.

Did you try contacting Marineland?

How about a local carpenter? Some tradespeople enjoy a unique challenge.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily replicated by a local carpenter/cabinet maker. Call around and you should be able to find someone.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that happened. New fear unlocked.

Did you try contacting Marineland?

How about a local carpenter? Some tradespeople enjoy a unique challenge.
No local carpenters yet, as I cant imagine how expensive to try to replicate it, and then at that point is it worth it? I could spend that money on a coral or fish LOL or at least that's how I think.

As to Marineland I emailed them and got an email back the next day. However, they will only sell me a new hood at 349.99 and that is how much my whole 180gal stand sump canopy and return was so not doing that.

Thinking of trying to find some cool reefing artwork a little bit bigger than the door size to hang in place of it until I can find someone with the canopy they don't like it and will sell or trade some corals for the door.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am going to be a Karen for a second. You think it just blew off. But for all you knew you could have really hurt someone.
Yes, and no.

The second my girlfriend heard it I looked back and saw it on the highway. No one around me. or behind me next car back was like a mile or so could only see headlights. But once I turned around I couldn't find it anymore so I called it quits and moved on.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have done this or have experience how much do you think something like this would cost for a little 12x6 door rough dimensions?
Honestly, probably not cheap, but rather a good last resort. If I were to do it and charge for it, probably around $150-200. It takes a lot of work to get setup for one door and get it finished correctly. Your best bet is to reach out to marineland directly.

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look online for cabinet doors. There are plenty of vendors out there that show you profiles, just match it up. Looks like a flat panel shaker door. Should be pretty cheap to order.

Here ya go, $40 bucks if this matches....

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look online for cabinet doors. There are plenty of vendors out there that show you profiles, just match it up. Looks like a flat panel shaker door. Should be pretty cheap to order.

This looks similar how do I know if it has the outside design that would be made on a planar? Ill send a pic of my current door in just one second. But that is a cheap and quick fix and if I paint it, it will be a little bit different but a lot better than no door.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find that exact profile but it is a mitered flat panel door. Look through these examples and choose the profile that matches the closest. Worst case, buy 2 so you won't have mismatch doors next to one another.
Give me your opinion I think this door is very similar and for 30 I would be willing roll the dice and order it. However wondering what bore option do you think is show in the photo? Also would it have the cut out for hinges or does one do that on there own?
IMG_3698.png
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3699.png

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is close but it is a cope and stick door, not a mitered. Yours is a mitered door which may or may not matter to you.
Choose Pattern T for the hinge boring and you can pick up a set of hinges from Lowe’s or HD

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back