What happened to hooded aquariums? Also, help on choosing new aquarium.

AnyNameIWish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone!

I have a Biocube 32. I've had it for a very long time. I need to replace it with something around 50 gallons for various reasons. It's age makes me concerned that it will leak at some point. I'm on my last fluorescent light and they don't make them anymore. But most importantly, the stand it is on is too narrow and I worry my toddler will be able to pull on it. (The stand has vertical support columns that are perfect to grab onto and pull.) So, I need something with a stand about 3 feet or so wide. I would love some recommendations and I would probably like to go with an AIO tank.

But, everything I look at is "rimless" and doesn't have the option for a hood that covers the tank. I don't get it. I've had aquariums for over 30 years and every single one has had a hood that covered it. While I love aquariums, frankly, I don't like the smell of them, and the hood takes care of that. Plus, my cat loves to sleep on top of the tank.

Are there any good manufacturers that make hooded, AIO saltwater tanks? Or, am I missing something? Is it that there are separate manufacturers that make hoods that fit these tanks? At the very least, would one of these tanks that I can buy a glass cover for the top support a cat on it? Or contain the smell?

Please let me know. Time is of the essence here since my toddler is getting more mobile and stronger and they have a love for my fish tank and I don't want them to injure themselves.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think it is probably a bunch of different things, rimless is in vogue (and look pretty nice), and think of all the money companies can make selling you a separate light and mount!!! But seriously I think there are a bunch of factors. . . Anyway. . .

Here is an option for an AIO with a “lid”. More of a cover that will stop fish from jumping and stop cats from fishing. . .

Not as large as you are looking for, but this is the closest I can think of to what you are asking for

Think they make a stand for it ^^^ as well.

I used these on my aquarium racks just in case a kiddo ever pulled in them:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid hoods are likely not very popular imo due to not allowing oxygen to properly enter the water and also possibly lowering pH. Mesh lids are far more popular ime. Any of the tanks you get from aqueon or top fin have glass lid options (rimmed or rimless tank).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS if the tank has a smell, just run carbon. You shouldn't be able to smell your tank easily imo.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid hoods are likely not very popular imo due to not allowing oxygen to properly enter the water and also possibly lowering pH. Mesh lids are far more popular ime. Any of the tanks you get from aqueon or top fin have glass lid options (rimmed or rimless tank).
I think you will find that a hood limits gas exchange less than you would think, if at all. Surface agitation and your skimmer promote gas exchange. Hoods are just not in vogue, but still likely available. In the past, many hoods were DIY and that is still a very viable option.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept aquariums for decades and gas exchange is not an issue if there is sufficient surface agitation. I had a glass company custom cut 2 rectangular glass tops to fit on my aquarium. They are thick enough to support even a heavy kitty. I will take a pic of it for you.

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Oceanic 28 cube that I love and it has never given me any problems and also a biocube 32 in the bedroom I enjoy. I love having the all in one hoods. A big perk for me is very little evaporation (thus no need for an ATO) and I've never lost a fish due to jumping out. I have looked at the Waterbox 40 if I decide to go larger.

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also miss hoods, hiding the lights, reducing evaporation, and in my experience not creating an issue with gas exchange, in particular if you have a skimmer. I have made my DIY lid (with limited DIY skills) out of the panel below bought on Amazon. It is lightweight, but very stable (our cats also jump on it). With a saw I cat out sections and used plastic hinges to turn them into hatches for feeding and general access. You can make custom cut outs for equipment. Admittedly it does not hide anything.

1709232526089.png

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled this out from 8+ years of storage :)
It’s actually a very good design, aside from the lighting, which isn’t terrible, but not what I would prefer

28 gallon JBJ nano cube. Thick glass, a 3 level media basket, two heater spots, central overflow with dual returns, the lid has adjustable brackets to hold it open during maintenance, cooling fans, feeding door. I like this a lot

I replaced and upgraded the two return pumps and return tubing.

Attachments

• FBCF6868-2B39-458D-8867-C1AAF4EA59CC.jpeg
    FBCF6868-2B39-458D-8867-C1AAF4EA59CC.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 74F9B313-2D0D-45EE-8F62-2F9E6D54DC7C.jpeg
    74F9B313-2D0D-45EE-8F62-2F9E6D54DC7C.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 24

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I did to my Octo Aquatics mesh top. We got a pair of kittens and I was concerned they would jump up on the mesh, fall in and possibly get trapped. So I came up with the idea of a solid piece to cover where the mesh was, raised up slightly to allow air flow and minimize condensation. Octo had the idea to use the furniture rubber feet. The feet hold the top very tightly in place. The feet Octo put on were your standard height, found in stores. I swapped them out with taller ones, found on Amazon.

1000002971.jpg

1000002969.jpg

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, everything I look at is "rimless" and doesn't have the option for a hood that covers the tank. I don't get it.
Modern lighting with the need to raise it above the tank for good coverage meant the closed tank hood had to go.

I had many a closed tank with 1 or 2 T-12 fluorescent bulbs, later compact flourescent bulbs, but good luck growing corals under those.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoods were mainly to hide the high powered and ugly light fixtures of the time.
And the drawback was they held in the heat, further necessitating the need for a chiller.
Also made tank access more difficult.

Now, LEDs make up the overwhelming majority of reef tank lighting (for better or worse).
They look MUCH better. They are far more slim/compact. Many of them come with or have tank mounted mounting solutions. So no hood needed.

Also, rimless tanks have become extremely popular (again... for better or worse) so there is no ugly bracing to hide.

I still see people use hoods. Totally up to you. But more than likely you will have to build one yourself.

Also, my 60g reef is in my small office. It never smells. Other than the hum from the skimmer, you would never know there was a fish tank in here if you were blind and walked in.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Light spill has always been my complaint. I dont particularly trust rimless designs and prefer a eurobrace or rimmed tank. Glasscages, Planet Aquarium, and CustomAquariums sell canopies for their tanks. My current 7ft tank is from CustomAquariums

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back