help: toadstool won't extend it's polyps

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool hasn't extended any of it's polyps probably close to a year now!. It seems very healthy otherwise though, keeps growing and has tripled in size since I've had it. Any clue as to why this is happening and any suggestions on what to do to help get it to open them up is appreciated.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same type a this one
20131009_220956-1.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks okay to me. They will not extend much more than that.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need water params from you. Nitrates under 30 are ok, high phosphates will tick them off, and you still need a good amount of light with them.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need water params from you. Nitrates under 30 are ok, high phosphates will tick them off, and you still need a good amount of light with them.
everything is at zero but I haven't checked the phos there might be very low amounts but i've had these guys thrive in very very dirty water before so not sure why

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a long time. Mine will gets fussy if something bothered it. But opens a few days later. The water you spoke as dirty could have been from the coral itself. Leathers secrete a lot of slime if they feel threatened. Something is not right if it has not opened in a year. It more than likely something in your water perimeters if not right. Leathers are very hardy as you can tell any other corals could not stay unopened that long and survive. But it will have to open its polyps in order to survive. You need to check you water. When it does open it will have a layer of "skin" that will come off as well, like a molting.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a leather in my tank for 3 years. got it the size of a nickel and now is about 10" across. it has only put its polyps out maybe once or twice since i have had it

all corals thrive in my tank with o nitrate and .04 phosphate (hanna) and the toadstool has grown great its just one of those mysteries to me why it wont open??

bob

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a leather in my tank for 3 years. got it the size of a nickel and now is about 10" across. it has only put its polyps out maybe once or twice since i have had it

all corals thrive in my tank with o nitrate and .04 phosphate (hanna) and the toadstool has grown great its just one of those mysteries to me why it wont open??

bob

I have never seen a toad stool stay closed for over a year. I had cabbage leathers that stayed closed often but even that never over a year. But as you say i guess it is possible.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a toad stool stay closed for over a year. I had cabbage leathers that stayed closed often but even that never over a year. But as you say i guess it is possible.

maybe it opens at nighttime? i am defintiely not staying up to find out though lol

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to ditch an emerald crab that I caught actually plucking and eating polyps off of my toadstool. He was plucking and eating as fast as he could go.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to ditch an emerald crab that I caught actually plucking and eating polyps off of my toadstool. He was plucking and eating as fast as he could go.

Wish my crabs would munch mine. I have a tyree green it is over 12" across. I already traded one to a LFS that was a mere 8". When the polyps open it is quite a sight the green looks like i plugged it in, but they get monstrous in size.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bob
ok good to know it's just not mine. I have way more sensitive coral in my tank require better water quality but they are all fine so it's weird. Just wish it'd open up so it'd look prettier

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back