0   0   0
Torch coral suddenly dying all Params WNL In tank and no new changes

image.jpg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see if there is any brown jelly where it is receding? Euphyllia are susceptible to brown jelly disease and is a common cause of there death. Also how is the flow in that area? Torches like a lot of flow. Have you been moving it around at all? It doesn’t look like there are any other corals that could have stung it in the pic but if it was recently and then moved that could be a contributor or if it recently fell and put back in place could also be a contributing factor. The only other thing that comes to mind is a potential predator. What fish are in there with it, any that would nip at it? You may not see them do it as it may be done when the lights are out. One last question, are any other coral showing signs of stress? Sorry that’s a lot of questions but there are a lot of things that could be contributing.

OP
OP
Fishies2019

Fishies2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I appreciate the help SOO much!
1. yes I have flow there are two areas of flow towards my torch coral
2. The tank has Xenia ( super happy and vibrant), monti but located on bottom portion of tank, and small mushroom bottom rock
3. Two clown fish (paired), one wrasse, one royal gramma
4. There are no signs of stress in tank besides torch coral

Also I wanted to add something new I noticed was that male clown has recently started a symbiotic relationship with torch (attached picture) the clown was often rubbing my torch about two weeks ago then suddenly stopped
I did water change today not and added night out.. not sure what else to do

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this link will work but basically it says euphyllia have hard exoskeletons and when rubbed by the clown, the euphyllia get irritated and can die. If link doesn’t work try searching for clowns and euphyllia or elegance.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Steve1500. Although the clown hasn’t hosted lately (that you’ve seen), the damage could be done. The clown could have decided he liked something different or it could be he moved on due to the torch been recessed and not like it was originally.

Regardless, do you have alternating/variable flow or is it constant? Constant flow can be hard on euphyllia.

Also you need to inspect closely for brown jelly. Often a small bump against the glass, a clownfish hosting, or whatever the scenario... it doesn’t take much to create a small wound on the euphyllia. Once that wound has happened they can be very susceptible to bacterial infections. Just to clarify, brown jelly disease can happen with or without a wound. If it is BJD you need to take immediate action or it will soon die (but being that your tour has one head I don’t know that there is a lot you can do).

Either way, wether you see brown jelly or not I would dip in iodine. The iodine will help clean and heal the wound. Let me know if you need links to brown jelly disease or iodine dipping.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back