Help understanding my EC readings

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m using a Milwaukee MC811 Temp/EC/pH monitor. I’m confused on my EC readings. I’m currently getting a reading of 15.83mS. Shouldn’t this be around 35? The unit is calibrated and my salinity (refractometer) is 1.025.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody uses EC for anything in reefkeeping

Perhaps you just know it under other names, such as conductivity or tds. I recommend it as the best way to monitor many things, including ro/di function, kalkwasser potency, and seawater salinity.

As best I can tell from their web site, the mc811 cannot read high enough to measure seawater salinity, which is 53 mS/cm. The link below says it cannot read accurately above 5 mS/cm.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps you just know it under other names, such as conductivity or tds. I recommend it as the best way to monitor many things, including ro/di function, kalkwasser potency, and seawater salinity.

As best I can tell from their web site, the mc811 cannot read high enough to measure seawater salinity, which is 53 mS/cm. The link below says it cannot read accurately above 5 mS/cm.

Thank you! Was driving me crazy. I'll just disregard the EC function of this monitor.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back