Help using lanthanum chloride

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i properly use lanthanum chloride? Iv seen the videos of people dosing their tank, but that is not what i am trying to do. I want to cure dry rock and remove all bound phosphates in RODI water with the LC. My main question/confusion is how much should i dose, and how do i know when i should stop dosing since i cannot test RODI water with my Hanna checker. I have 100lbs of rock in a 32g brute trash can. The rock has been soaked in bleach solution for a week, and rinsed well already. Appreciate any help that can be offered!

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this is the correct product?

Attachments

• 5F05E3D6-D860-4F29-BC97-D2EFD87F93D9.png
    5F05E3D6-D860-4F29-BC97-D2EFD87F93D9.png
    349 KB · Views: 41

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i properly use lanthanum chloride? Iv seen the videos of people dosing their tank, but that is not what i am trying to do. I want to cure dry rock and remove all bound phosphates in RODI water with the LC. My main question/confusion is how much should i dose, and how do i know when i should stop dosing since i cannot test RODI water with my Hanna checker. I have 100lbs of rock in a 32g brute trash can. The rock has been soaked in bleach solution for a week, and rinsed well already. Appreciate any help that can be offered!
Without having a way to test PO4, you’re going to have to guesstimate. Also, since you won’t have the advantage of a protein skimmer in freshwater, make sure you’re dosing the dilute LC slowly into a filter sock that is small enough (5 micron is ideal) to catch the lanthanum phosphate flocs that are produced.

To guesstimate, you could do something like this:

1) look at the directions on the bottle and figure out how much of the lanthanum chloride solution you have will remove something like 1.0ppm phosphate from 32 gallons of water.

2) rock can bind, in the extreme, as much as 50 times the phosphate that is in the water itself, but your rock likely doesn’t have that much bound to it unless you know it to be really really bad. Maybe start by assuming there’s 10x as much in the rock as there is in the water.

3) drip the quantity of LC that you calculated in step one (to drop 32 gallons by 1.0ppm PO4) every day or two for somewhere between 10 and 50 days depending on how bad you think your rock is. Make sure to rinse out the filter sock now and then as it may clog.

4) At the end of that period (I bet personally that you’ll be fine with doing this for 10-15 days), drain and fill with saltwater. Let it circulate for a couple of days to unbind any phosphate from the rock and then test PO4. If it’s still elevated at that point, you can always dose more lanthanum while the saltwater is in it.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back