Help - water spike

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything spiked recently.

My YWG disappeared and my star fish is falling apart. These have been the tests recently. I have a Red sea max 130D 34 gallon and did a 10 gallon water change and dosed fritz 1 oz on Friday per LFS advise. Tank is about a month old.

IMG_8421.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg IMG_8410.jpeg IMG_8409.jpeg IMG_8416.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your cycle was complete? If it is, ammonia should be reading zero at basically all times. It’s possible your cycle didn’t complete in a month, mine took 6 weeks for example.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is the tank is still too new for any livestock there’s probably a big algae bloom. There’s a microscopic war going on for turf in your tank, toxic to fish and invertebrates. I’d wait before you add any livestock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia looks the same in all of these tests, the nitrate looks like it went down after the water change, and at around 10ppm it is not a problem. The pH looks better than my reef tank used to look when it was young and I was growing corals back then. So the problem you are having isn't your parameters, your starfish (Patrick?) is dying and should be frozen inside a baggy (based only upon your discription) and the goby either jumped (do you have a lid) or it buried itself hiding from the stress and commotion going on around the tank.

Post a picture of the tank, sorry this is happening but these things happen, a lot.

OP
OP
NewbieC123

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia looks the same in all of these tests, the nitrate looks like it went down after the water change, and at around 10ppm it is not a problem. The pH looks better than my reef tank used to look when it was young and I was growing corals back then. So the problem you are having isn't your parameters, your starfish (Patrick?) is dying and should be frozen inside a baggy (based only upon your discription) and the goby either jumped (do you have a lid) or it buried itself hiding from the stress and commotion going on around the tank.

Post a picture of the tank, sorry this is happening but these things happen, a lot.
So what should I do? Turn off the light? I noticed diatoms showed up today as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8399.jpeg
    IMG_8399.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 10

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycle does take some time every tank is different
its-gonna-take-a-while-steve-kornacki.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should I do? Turn off the light? I noticed diatoms showed up today as well.
Calm down, and let it ride. The coral needs light and is not impacted much by ammonia, it actually will uptake that. It also wants phosphate, so feed the fish 1-3 flakes 2 times a day, aka feed very lightly and the fish will feed the coral but hopefully not pollute the tank water in excess.

Everyone jumps the gun, once. Relax, use the search feature in the top right corner and find information by reading entire threads. You will find people who are in a hurry often step on themselves and do a lot of harm. You will find people have different view points on how to fix
well,

Everything. Some of the information is incorrect, some is completely wrong, and the good stuff mostly I wrote all of that, or at least copied it from someone trust worthy on here. (That was mostly for intertainment, but I think you can gather the point that you have to be careful what information is posted on line.

Check out the build threads for ideas on improvements, once you have been reading the site for a couple of weeks your current issue will be in the rearview mirror and something new will be happening, hopefully something good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back