HELP? What are these??

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone this has been growing on my rocks for a while, does know what it is and is it good or bad?

C3828193-B505-4E64-8D18-F6746512F3E5.png 30F93670-825E-4965-9614-8D3557206714.png

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid Snails. Definitely not good, but not the end of the world. They are difficult, if not impossible to fully eradicate. You can try manual removal or try getting some Bumblebee Snails which may eat them.

I have them in my tank and have just learned to live with them. Occasionally, I will remove some manually if they seem to be bothering a nearby coral.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid Snails. Definitely not good, but not the end of the world. They are difficult, if not impossible to fully eradicate. You can try manual removal or try getting some Bumblebee Snails which may eat them.

I have them in my tank and have just learned to live with them. Occasionally, I will remove some manually if they seem to be bothering a nearby coral.
Any idea how I could’ve gotten them? I don’t put anything in my tank that isn’t quarantine. No way I could manually remove them they are literally EVERYWHERE! Will enough bumblebee snails get rid of them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your best bet to battle this rather than snaping them off is to add one or two bumblee snails which will eat these like candy
Ive been this 3.5 decades and this is the most ive seen in one system- wow

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet to battle this rather than snaping them off is to add one or two bumblee snails which will eat these like candy
Ive been this 3.5 decades and this is the most ive seen in one system- wow
I’ve been having them for a while, I didn’t know what it was. I still don’t know how I got them.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tanks seem to eventually find an equilibrium and they never become a huge problem. However I know very well first hand that they can become a huge problem, and I wish more than anything that there was a better way to destroy these things and keep them out of our reefs. This is my 40 gallon that is being restarted at the moment mainly due to how insane the vermetids got. I tried everything and even just let them do their thing hoping they would stop growing at some point. They continued to coat the entire tank for years and never really slowed down. Believe me, my tank was a lot more infested than yours!

Attachments

• verm.jpg
    verm.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 25

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid particulate food. They tend to go nuts for things like reef roids.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my tank is a lot more infested than yours they can get out of hand. I kinda gave up. I have 2 dozens bumblebee snails in my DT and don’t keep up if they are doing anything at all. I envy the people saying that they worked. I have them growing on my snails and clams, everything. I only crush off my clam now. Good luck!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been having them for a while, I didn’t know what it was. I still don’t know how I got them.
They appear on rock and coral and then begin to spread.

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these all over just like this, my newly added bumble bee snails are helping slowly but surely!

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only gonna get worse cause I don’t put anything in my tank that isn’t quarantine. I plan on putting bumblebee’s in but that’s at least 6 weeks out with quarantine

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back