What type of pest is this?

Bwlynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’m wondering if anyone knows what type of pest this is? It’s been slowly spreading from a rock to the sand bed. I know it’s not aptasia. Any thoughts on what it is and how to remove it?
Thanks in advance!

IMG_7291.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bwlynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s another photo with whiter light. I think it’s a type of pest anemone. It’s got smaller tentacles than aptasia. It almost looks like alveapora or a type of flowerpot LPS but I didn’t think they spread into sand without a calcium base. It hitchhiked on the rock with the mushrooms on it about a year and a half ago. IMG_7292.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bwlynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the id! I’ll do a little research and see where it goes?
Take care

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not dealt with these but I remember folks saying to remove them all, toss the rocks and gravel they are attached to and avoid them from covering everything.

I have always done this when I have had them show up on a frag or rock I have gotten from the lfs. G l!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here’s another photo with whiter light. I think it’s a type of pest anemone. It’s got smaller tentacles than aptasia. It almost looks like alveapora or a type of flowerpot LPS but I didn’t think they spread into sand without a calcium base. It hitchhiked on the rock with the mushrooms on it about a year and a half ago. IMG_7292.jpeg
Not sure what is area of concern but see cloves, vermetid snails and possible tube worms

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only solutions I've heard for blue clove polyps aren't reef safe (they might kill off other things in the tank), but the most common treatment I've heard is Fenbendazole. Someone else used Lugol's Iodine, but they also lost some corals from that. Some people say kalk paste or super glue may work, but I haven't seen many people reporting success with it. The links below may help:

OP
OP
B

Bwlynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fenbenbazole route seems like the way to go. Thanks again everyone for help with identification and solutions!
Take care

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back