[HELP] What is this? Bump on fish mouth.

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on my male Clownfish. Any ideas on what this is & how I should treat it? See video.

*Sorry about background noise*

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be an abcess and not uncommon with clowns for some reason. triSulfa powder has worked, but not always. I would consider in quarantine, Maracyn 2 or Seachem MetroPlex added to the foods.
is fish eating ?
How is the breathing rate (normal or Rapid ? )

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is there anything I can do without setting up a QT? I did not QT this pair of clowns and they are the only thing in the tank.
I saw your post here after I replied to your other one.

The type of infection on this clown isn't clear to me. First guess would be external bacterial, but the way the clown is swimming and carrying its jaw, makes me think something systemic.

Your options are really limited in a display tank. What other animals are in there and how long has the tank been set up?

About all I can suggest is Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but it isn't always effective when dosed at low levels as required by using it in a display tank.

Jay

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other animals in tank just the 2 clowns and the tank was set up over a month ago (40 Days). I will getting a QT down the line but just can't at the moment. This doesn't look like something that would go away on its own does it?

Readings: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, Salinity 1.025

Checked him out this morning, spot looks the same and he is still eating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No other animals in tank just the 2 clowns and the tank was set up over a month ago (40 Days). I will getting a QT down the line but just can't at the moment. This doesn't look like something that would go away on its own does it?

Readings: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, Salinity 1.025

Checked him out this morning, spot looks the same and he is still eating.
Zero readings. . . What test kit are you using ?
If API, not saying its wrong but known for false readings. I would encourage to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my maroon clownfish had somethin like that it eventually went way never bothered her

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API. Wouldn't I want 0 Ammonia & Nitrites? What should my results be after 3 days of having them? I put them in with 0 readings. I could take a sample to my LFS as it's only about 10 mins away. Not sure what test they use though.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update video on that bump. It has gotten worse and what is that white string looking thing by his eye? Would a rodi water dip help? I'm thinking it might kill him. Or is it too late to dip him in Ruby Reef Rally Pro or Hydroplex?

Someone please help or is it too late?
@Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_4461[1].MOV
    54 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update video on that bump. It has gotten worse and what is that white string looking thing by his eye? Would a rodi water dip help? I'm thinking it might kill him. Or is it too late to dip him in Ruby Reef Rally Pro or Hydroplex?

@Jay Hemdal
I don’t see a FW dip as being of any benefit here. I don’t have experience with Hydroplex. Ruby Reef in tank might be an option.
Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
Hard to tell what is going on but it might be brooklynella since it looks like a mucus has formed. However, it usually shows first on the top head of the fish. It won't hurt to give him a 10 minute saltwater dip in Hydroplex. If it is a parasite, it will kill the bugs but further medical treatment in a hospital tank is ideal. Hydroplex has saved several of my fish.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man now that I'm really watching him, he's not doing good. Today make day 1 he didn't eat and the way he is moving is off. I ordered the stuff but won't be here until Tuesday...

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More footage. *Couldn't upload video*
Is that a cut I see on his face?!? Look closely, over the black stripe.
IMG_4465[1].PNG
IMG_4463[1].PNG

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little dude just passed away.

Sorry to hear. So the meds didn't arrive in time?

In terms of damage control, I don't think this was a contagious issue, but watch the other clown very closely, in case it was.....

Jay

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, didn't have the meds early enough I think. I should be more prepared next go around (hopefully I won't need meds :p) Plus my A/C went out 2 days ago.... It's been a rough week. I'll be watching the other for any changes.

Thank you all!

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Jay, I didn't upload any more photos right before he passed. But that whole right side was swollen, Gill closed shut, eye popped out, mouth swollen (couldn't shut), and looked dark red. And it all started from a little under the skin bump. What could that have been?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back