Help - What is this killing my blenny

popsnicker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to all of this and have had a tank up for about 2 months now and everything was going great. Suddenly I had two fish die yesterday (6-lined wrasse and a royal gramma) and my blenny is sick with a reddish slime on him.
:too_sad:

What is it and how can I fix him (if it's not too late)

Yesterday I took a water sample to my LFS who said that everything was pretty good, ammonia slightly up, but that it was time for a water change so I changed out 5 gallons on a 29 gallon tank.

Thanks all

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 211

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a bacterial infection that is causing the swelling and redness......What kind not sure to ard to say....Some Melafix or pimafix could help.....Ammonia being detectable means you haven't fully finished off your cycle or the dead fish caused a spike......ammonia shouldn't be detectable in a fully cycled tank unless there is an issue with the bio-logical filter...

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to - say it but sounds like to many fish to fast. If tank has only ben going for 2 months you probably havent finished cycling. And every new fish you add starts another cycle, just dont have enough biological filter yet too deal with that many fish.

OP
OP
P

popsnicker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it could be that the dead fish caused the spike. My tank only took two weeks to fully cycle and since that point I haven't had any issues with water quality. My LFS has been testing my water for me every week or two continously and this was the first time the ammonia had changed at all. The other fish had been there for about a month with no issues too.

I'll look into Melafix and Pimafix

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the dead fish get left in there? That would definitely cause a problem.

But Even if cycled that fast like I said before new fish added cause another small cycle and should not add fish intill your bacteria can catch up and be enough for it. Simply more import of waste and not enough export. How often are you doing water changes? Are You running a skimmer?

Every new fish puts more of a load on the biological filter and to me that many fish after just 2 months just seems like to many.

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold on with Medication. Just try to improve your water quality first ( try to reduce Ammonia to 0 because with little Ammonia mean the tank is not fully cycled like Alex stated). Get yourselves a good test kits and check them frequently (you can fight and win the war without knowing your enemies)

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

popsnicker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately my blenny dies last night. I took another water sample to the LFS and ammonia was at zero. It must have been some sort of bacteria. Thanks all.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say slooooow down. Stop adding fish, get yourself some test kits so you can test for yourself, and do a lot of reading. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia readings can still read zero even when it is present. The bacteria is eating it but not fast enough to complyetly control it. And now without all the fish there wil be less ammonia, via less waste from fish. Over feeding can cause it as well as the food breaks down. liquid Kits work but dont always tell you everything.

I would buy some quality kits, salifert, elos. and let tank sit for a month. Do a water change once or trice then maybe try a hardier fish like a false perc. Clown mine both made it threw ammonia spike and ph crash when i first started but I acted fast when they happened. Ammonia remover works but doesnt cure the problem maybe use some then do a water change.

question what is your nitrate testing at? And is your nitrite at zero?

New2Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to say that your tank may be in the mist of its startup cycle. You had fish in there too fast. Get yoursef test kits and always use Purified by reverse osmosis water whenever topping off or mixing salt crystals. Keep a log of all your tests and water changes. Remember LFS store are not in business to tell people to slow down and that they are not ready for fish. I learned this the hard way. And I also do my own research to back up advise.

Good luck...

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back