Help? White fuzz on torch corals

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Reposting this in the LPS forum as I didn't get any feedback in the reef forum:
I have 3 torch corals that appear to be doing fine (for now), one that looks near death, and another that is starting to look worrisome. The two with issues have a clear / white fuzz that appears to be irritating the flesh of the torch, causing it to withdraw. The only place I see this fuzz in my tank is on these two corals (not on the rocks, other corals, etc). I've been searching and found a couple of pics that look like what I have, but I couldn't find any consensus on what this is or what to do about it. Some said a fungus, some said bacteria. Any thoughts on what it is or how I can treat them?

Thursday night, I dipped the first one in Coral RX (first pic). Friday it looked like it might be opened slightly more with slightly less fuzz, but I can't tell for sure (second pic). Third pic is of my other torch that's withdrawn around the edges and has some of the fuzz as well. Friday night I dipped them both in Kent Lugol's (iodine).

Torch1.jpg

Torch2.jpg

IndoTorch.jpg

Also considering a hydrogen peroxide dip (but it sounds pretty harsh for torch corals). Also considering Furan 2 (have some of it) and Melafix (don't have, but I do have Pimafix). Also heard of dosing Koran Rid Fungus (wonder if it could be used as a dip?)... Sounds like all of those can help with fungus; not sure about bacteria. Thoughts / suggestions? Thanks,
--Kyle

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I'm thinking bacterial with tissue necrosis considering the exposed skeleton. Fungus is pretty uncommon in coral and marine environments in general with gorgonians being the exception. The only luck I've had are continued dips in iodine with good flow.

Just my thoughts and opinions

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I'm thinking bacterial with tissue necrosis considering the exposed skeleton. Fungus is pretty uncommon in coral and marine environments in general with gorgonians being the exception. The only luck I've had are continued dips in iodine with good flow.

Just my thoughts and opinions

Thanks, I've done an iodine dip and will do another today; possibly increasing the amount and duration... Did you experience a similar issue?

Anyone else with experience with something like this? Thanks,
--Kyle

ProfessorAronnax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've done an iodine dip and will do another today; possibly increasing the amount and duration... Did you experience a similar issue?

Anyone else with experience with something like this? Thanks,
--Kyle
I have been through something very similar in other euphyillia species- particularly hammers. I did not do increasing durations for the dip or amount mixed. Just kept at is steadily, dipping once every 4 days.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through something very similar in other euphyillia species- particularly hammers. I did not do increasing durations for the dip or amount mixed. Just kept at is steadily, dipping once every 4 days.

Also-after dipping in iodine- did you notice any difference?

Thank you. Did you have this white fuzz or something different? Did your corals pull through with just Iodine?

I haven't seen much of a difference yet. The 3 head torch isn't really looking better, but it had also worsened quickly before dipping. The 1 head gold torch still looks the same (edges are clearly irritated; the center looks healthy). Thanks,
--Kyle

ProfessorAronnax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Did you have this white fuzz or something different? Did your corals pull through with just Iodine?

I haven't seen much of a difference yet. The 3 head torch isn't really looking better, but it had also worsened quickly before dipping. The 1 head gold torch still looks the same (edges are clearly irritated; the center looks healthy). Thanks,
--Kyle
It was a white fuzz similar to yours. I did end up losing a couple where the infection was further along, but the ones that were caught early made full recoveries.

In the past when I have noticed an lps not looking so hot, I have always done a iodine dip. It has worked well in my experience. Iodine is a natural antiseptic for soft tissues. In large doses though it can be harmful

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a white fuzz similar to yours. I did end up losing a couple where the infection was further along, but the ones that were caught early made full recoveries.

In the past when I have noticed an lps not looking so hot, I have always done a iodine dip. It has worked well in my experience. Iodine is a natural antiseptic for soft tissues. In large doses though it can be harmful

Thanks, good to know. You're the only person I've seen with the same issue and some success. How many dips did you end up doing before you were done? And did it come back at a later date? Thanks again,
--Kyle

ProfessorAronnax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to know. You're the only person I've seen with the same issue and some success. How many dips did you end up doing before you were done? And did it come back at a later date? Thanks again,
--Kyle
I continued the dipping regimen until I noticed the tissue stopped receding and had started to regrow. If I had to guess, it probably was 5 or 6 dips, but that was for the specimens that showed early signs. The corals that had prolonged symptoms didn't make it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back