Help with 180 Lighting

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello -

I'm hoping I can fish for some ideas on what to do about my lighting conundrum. I am upgrading from a 50g IM Lagoon to a 180g standard 6'x2'x2' (opportunity purchase). The 180g tank I am picking up was set up with a 48" hybrid t5 with 3 xr15's (2 old g3's and 1 g4). On my 50g I have 2xr 15 g4 and 1 xr15 g5.

I was debating on keeping all xr15s (6 total) and place on a 72" Ecotech hanging mounting rail and perhaps supplement with a reefbrite 72" strip and add a second down the road and likley replace the older xr15 as I go. I plan the the tank to be bare-bottom SPS with a few LPS/softies down low. I'm thinking the 48" t5 hybrid fixture is just too small for the tank so I expect this wont really work for my purpose. Should I sell off the xr15's and go for a couple larger fixtures? Unfortunately, the tank does have the plastic supports every 2' which I have to work lighting around. I would also like to keep mount height to 7-8" so a that eliminates a few fixtures requiring a higher mount if I was to go a different direction. Thanks in advance for any advice.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed reply. Not sure what your goals are coral wise. Personally I would save the money and run all 6 radions and use the hybrid placed in the center, You can always change later but what you have may very well work for you.
Just for informational purposes. I have a 180 6x2x2 with cross braces. Its the one in my showcase. I'm running 6 noopsyche k7 V3 pro lights, 2 between each cross brace. I've been happy with them, especially for the price. I am able to keep clams finally. I'm getting 300 par on the bottom where the derasa is.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im doing 3 xr30 G6’s and a 60” 4 bulb t5 hybrid fixture.

I think you are better off with three xr30’s vs 6 xr15’s

OP
OP
C

cubsfan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, thanks for the reply’s but ended up having a change of plans as the 180’s stand was too tall with the tank for the space I had planned in my basement, so I pivoted to an Innovative Marine 150ext which just arrived. This tank has an awesome dimension but a bit challenging for lighting 47x35x20.

This is going to be a bare bottom SPS dominated tank.

So now my tank is a little shallower than the 180 would have been, and I have 5 xr15’s in hand. Similar thought, add one more xr15 and run 2 rms rails with even spread or add a t5 hybrid 48” or 36” down the middle. I like the idea of the hybrid but worry the tank depth 35” would bee too much to get adequate par. Also if I did this, should I go 48” hybrid fixture which would actually be like 1/2” longer than the tank or go with the 36” and center leaving around 5” on either side?

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back