Help with 225g stocking list

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 225g 72x30x24 tank and could use guidance and suggestions on a stocking list and how to order the introduction of the fish. I plan to prophylactically treat the fish in QT and want to add them in an order to reduce aggression. I’m not firm on my stocking list so please make any suggestions. Here’s what I’m thinking:
Zebrasoma tangs
1 yellow tang
1 gem tang
1 purple tang
1 sailfin tang
oval bodied tangs:
1 yellow belly blue hippo tang
1 sohal tang
1 naso tang
bristletooth tangs:
my current two spot bristletooth tang
1 yellow eye Kole tang

Perhaps a foxface
lots of anthias (undecided which but I do like Bartlett’s, Lyretails and evansi)
my two perculas
some wrasses like flasher/fairy wrasses that might not need sand
My six line wrasse unless he keeps being a jerk…
1 Midas blenny
an angel or two such as a majestic or a regal
Perhaps a quoyi parrotfish
Eventually a mandarin goby

What are your thoughts and can you guys help order the stocking list?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just stick with a single midas blenny (assuming that wasn't a typo having it twice).

Here is my stocking list for a 160-gallon:
* Quoy's parrotfish, sailfin tang, marine betta
* Royal gramma, striped dottyback, flame hawkfish, midas blenny, 2x clownfish
* 2x lyretail anthias, 2x red fairy anthias, 6x green chromis, 4x blue devil/azure damsels
* 4x angelfish: midnight dwarf, coral beauty dwarf, lamarck's and juvenile emperor
* Melanarus wrasse, sixline wrasse, bicolor cleaner wrasse

And I'm forgetting a fish which escapes me at the moment.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I’d buy the zebrasoma tangs first as a trio of yellow, purple, and gem and QT them together in a 29g QT and then when the tank is set up, introduce in this order:
1.) clowns and 4” two spot bristletooth I already have
2.) zebrasoma tangs
3.) anthias and wrasses and blenny
4.) angels
5.) yellow eye kole tang
6.) oval bodied tangs
7,) optional quoyi parrotfish
8.) optional mandarin dragonette

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is that's a lot of tangs? I'd be inclined to add all tangs at the same time so they all are new. That said, I have 3 tangs in my 340 gallon system. They got big and are still territorial everyday. I see scratches on some of my fish that look like tang tail hits. They haven't killed anything, but, at times the silly tang games are ridiculous. I can't imagine the agression with more tangs. I have a black long nose, caribbean blue tang, and a mimic tang, plus 20 other fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 225g 72x30x24 tank and could use guidance and suggestions on a stocking list and how to order the introduction of the fish. I plan to prophylactically treat the fish in QT and want to add them in an order to reduce aggression. I’m not firm on my stocking list so please make any suggestions. Here’s what I’m thinking:
Zebrasoma tangs
1 yellow tang
1 gem tang
1 purple tang
1 sailfin tang
oval bodied tangs:
1 yellow belly blue hippo tang
1 sohal tang
1 naso tang
bristletooth tangs:
my current two spot bristletooth tang
1 yellow eye Kole tang

Perhaps a foxface
lots of anthias (undecided which but I do like Bartlett’s, Lyretails and evansi)
my two perculas
some wrasses like flasher/fairy wrasses that might not need sand
My six line wrasse unless he keeps being a jerk…
1 Midas blenny
an angel or two such as a majestic or a regal
Perhaps a quoyi parrotfish
Eventually a mandarin goby

What are your thoughts and can you guys help order the stocking list?
9 tangs is a ton! Let along most of them hitting a nice big show size (If I had it my way it’d be called monster size).
flasher and fairy wrasses with six lines are a bad idea IME. Sixlines tend to become murderous and go at fish with similar bodies, in a whole the wrasse guys stick to “rules” which involve one of the biggest being “Don’t mix pseudocheilinus with other wrasse”.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great feedback guys. Thanks. How many tangs would you think is appropriate in 225g 6’?
IMHO, I wouldn’t do more than 2 but those 2 would have to be Ctenochaetus and a smaller Acanthurus (Sohals can hit 20 inch in the right tank), Naso’s aren’t suited to most tanks less than 8 foot.
So I’d personally do:
- Ctenochaetus (Only one of them)
- Zebrasoma (One of the smaller species - Yellow or Purple)
- Acanthurus (If you HAVE to have a show stopping fish, go big or go home, I’d recommend A. achilles).

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it a lot of tangs. I have 9 in my 800g and I worry about when some of them are full grown.

I have found that having more can help break up aggression. But maybe pick 5 of the ones that don’t grow as large.

while I love the Sohal, I’ve heard too many stories of how aggressive they can get.

my most recent addition was a white tail bristletooth. He’s really cool. My smallest is my Gem and largest it’s my black. I like a variety of sizes as well and think it also helps with aggression.

I would put them in in groups as well. I like to add three fish at a time and I’ll feed heavy at the same time. Keeps the attention off the new arrivals. If they get aggressive I’ll turn off the lights. If still aggressive, I’ll add a mirror.

I didn’t see any angels on your list. I think they go great with tangs. I didn’t have them on my list when I started but once I added a couple I wanted more. Now I have like 12!

good luck and keep us updated.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it a lot of tangs. I have 9 in my 800g and I worry about when some of them are full grown.

I have found that having more can help break up aggression. But maybe pick 5 of the ones that don’t grow as large.

while I love the Sohal, I’ve heard too many stories of how aggressive they can get.

my most recent addition was a white tail bristletooth. He’s really cool. My smallest is my Gem and largest it’s my black. I like a variety of sizes as well and think it also helps with aggression.

I would put them in in groups as well. I like to add three fish at a time and I’ll feed heavy at the same time. Keeps the attention off the new arrivals. If they get aggressive I’ll turn off the lights. If still aggressive, I’ll add a mirror.

I didn’t see any angels on your list. I think they go great with tangs. I didn’t have them on my list when I started but once I added a couple I wanted more. Now I have like 12!

good luck and keep us updated.
I agree with the Angel recommendation!
I have fallen in love with the Velvet angelfish and many Genicanthus species.
Here’s an older photo of my current Genicanthus melanospilos.
37B6B360-DD86-4529-BA83-50341B687C21.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back