Help with a sump build for the ugly tank!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have decided to turn a 14 gallon tall into a sump for my 40 breeder. I am stuck on a few things. Such as, I was told acrylic baffles would be fine, but have found they also swell in water. I have a spare sheet of acrylic and need to know how to cut this so the swelling wont bust my tank. It is only 1/16th of an inch thick so not even sure that would work. I also want to have a refugium in the center, but am not sure how many baffles I will need for the sump. FWIW the footprint of this is the same as a standard ten gallon, it is just taller.I cannot drill my 40, not sure if that would have anything to do with the actual sump build. Thanks in advance! Here is a lovely photo of the tank, with the hopeful sump under the stand. I want to do this right the first time. PS Ignore the algae, and the cloudiness. It was moved over here the other day from the hex and I cloud it up while pulling algae daily.
sw 40 breeder.jpg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, glass it is. Do I need any play in the glass as well? How many panels should I get cut?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off 1/16 acrylic is too thin...it won't work...it will bend from the water pressure. I'd say 1/4 inch is a minimum for this size sump.

Acrylic will work in a glass tank, but you need to really seal both sides of each baffle with a good size bead.

As far as layout of baffles, it is typical to have a bubble trap after the skimmer. That being said, I have no bubble traps in my sump because I found my skimmer doesn't put out bubbles.

You can see my sump build HERE....post #11. Fyi, the baffles are 3/8 acrylic.

To answer one of the OP's original questions, I cut the acrylic baffles 1/16 smaller than the internal sump width.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, glass it is. Do I need any play in the glass as well? How many panels should I get cut?
If you're going with compartments for a skimmer, refugium, then return pump, three baffles should be good. One that goes to the bottom between skimmer and fuge for water to flow over, this will determine water height in skimmer section. Then two more baffles for a bubble trap before the return pump. The first one should go to the bottom and the second raised for water to flow under. I made my baffles out of glass leaving 1/8 inch where it met the tank so silicone could flow between. I suggest 1/4 inch glass as the thinner glass is too brittle for my liking. When siliconing the baffles you can use a zip tie as a spacer between the tank and baffle and remove it at the last moment to seal that part. Good luck!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for no baffles if you do choose to make a sump. Open is much more flexible and baffles rarely seem to work as intended for purposes other than setting a water level.

Set the water height for the skimmer with your ATO switch – stick with a sensitive, bulletproof switch like a reed-float. (The most common type.) It could even be fastened to the skimmer itself. :)

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 0.22"acrylic to make sc custom sump out of a 10 gallon and haven't had any silicone ussues. I just left about 1/8" play and used a table saw to cut the acrylic. I made a complicated set up but it works

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for no baffles if you do choose to make a sump. Open is much more flexible and baffles rarely seem to work as intended for purposes other than setting a water level.

Set the water height for the skimmer with your ATO switch – stick with a sensitive, bulletproof switch like a reed-float. (The most common type.) It could even be fastened to the skimmer itself. :)

Ok I have no idea how that would even work lol. Any links to videos or anything to explain it to me? Diagrams? Lol (as you can see I’m extremely new to this)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic works fine, just have to get a silicone designed for plastics. Most marketed 'aquarium sealants' are _not_ designed for plastics.

GE 100% silicone for plastic sheets.

Works great. I've been using it for years. Bonding acrylic and glass, there isn't anything I've ever seen that works better.
Video comparison I found...

I used 1/8" lexan in my 55g sump conversion, with this type of silicone, clean, dry surfaces, slightly undersized panels for a little clearance... Solid as a rock.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i was goiing to redo mine id buy this set up

Check it out its just buy and silicone in

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162409773328
I love that and had looked at it. However my tank is too tall, and those won’t be tall enough for my skimmer level. I have the Hydor Slim Skim. I mean I guess I could keep that in the display tank. What skimmer would even fit in a ten gallon? This is my first one and I’ve never personally seen any others.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that and had looked at it. However my tank is too tall, and those won’t be tall enough for my skimmer level. I have the Hydor Slim Skim. I mean I guess I could keep that in the display tank. What skimmer would even fit in a ten gallon? This is my first one and I’ve never personally seen any others.

i run an sca-301 i love it i have a 44 corner btw

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back