Guys will my plumbing design work.. Help needed

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my plumbing design (images below.) I dont have space under the aquarium but have a closet right next to the display that I can run pipes through the wall. Also what should i use to attach acrylic baffles to the sump walls.

1709874826267.jpeg

1709874841803.jpeg

1709883887235.jpeg
1709883903831.jpeg

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just realised I forgot to add a return and information about the tank. I will be using a jebao dcp return pump with silicone tubing that runs along the back of the display and up. The outlet will be a dual loc line 1/2 outlet. Also the tank is 120x50x35cm (210 Litres/55 gallons) and the sump is 60x34x36cm (75 litres/19.5 Gallons)

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just realised I forgot to add a return and information about the tank. I will be using a jebao dcp return pump with silicone tubing that runs along the back of the display and up. The outlet will be a dual loc line 1/2 outlet. Also the tank is 120x50x35cm (210 Litres/55 gallons) and the sump is 60x34x36cm (75 litres/19.5 Gallons)
yes that should work. I would lower the height of the main drain. Silicon to secure baffles in sump, aquarium grade. Possibly try and use 45 elbow instead of 90.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also lower the siphon stand pipe to reduce the chance of sucking air from the surface.

You would not need the middle bubble trap baffle that high.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also lower the siphon stand pipe to reduce the chance of sucking air from the surface.

You would not need the middle bubble trap baffle that high.
yeah ive changed my sump alot, these isnt a to scale model, will make a properly measured one soon

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1711658641293.jpeg

will look more like this, first compartment is filter media - carbon and mechanical, second is skimmer and the third one with the sun will have biobricks and a refugium

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the drain line 1”.
3/4” drain on a 55g might not be enough.
3/4 in should be fine
That’s a gravity flow rate of 660 GPH - water could be cycled through the sump up to 12 times per an hour (depending on return pump).

You shouldn’t cycle the water more than 10x and really 5or6 times is good
IMG_5863.jpeg

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 in should be fine
That’s a gravity flow rate of 660 GPH - water could be cycled through the sump up to 12 times per an hour (depending on return pump).

You shouldn’t cycle the water more than 10x and really 5or6 times is good
IMG_5863.jpeg
Even at 1”, the turn over rate would be more dependent on the size pump the OP uses on their aquarium. I don’t recall ever seeing 3/4” drains in anything involving plumbing.
I’ve been professionally plumbing for 15 years now. I would personally change the diameter on the drain, but that’s Just my opinion.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at 1”, the turn over rate would be more dependent on the size pump the OP uses on their aquarium. I don’t recall ever seeing 3/4” drains in anything involving plumbing.
I’ve been professionally plumbing for 15 years now. I would personally change the diameter on the drain, but that’s Just my opinion.
I did state that it was dependent on the pump……

Question- what size is the bulkhead at the tank?

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea okay, so you even quoting me was pointless….
Not really…
Do you know what size his bulkheads are? Because it sure as sh$$ isn’t posted here, so it may not matter that you think he should go with 1 inch drain.

Just because the retail tank makers of the world don’t do 3/4 drains doesn’t mean that it’s not appropriate for the size tank he has.
They use 1 inch drains on tanks up to 150 I believe. And I’ve seen those set up with basic Herbie drains. So really does a 55 gal tank need something that’s capable of handling a 150 gal tank. Probably not. Do the retail tank manufacturers like to make it easier on themselves by not setting up smaller tanks with an internal overflow with smaller drains, yes they do.

So question- if you’ve never seen a tank with anything other than 3/4 inch return lines does that make it what you should use? Or could you go bigger or smaller for that matter?

That tank once filled with sand and rocks won’t hold 55 gals of water.

Did you notice he also is using “gasp” 1/2 return line? Definitely not what manufacturers use.

The reef ready 75 I have was set up for a 3/4 return and a single 1in drain. Obviously I set the 3/4 up as my emergency but honestly it would have been better the other way my turn over is outrageous and I have to turn my pump down and reduce flow at the main drain.

Anywho have a wonderful Saturday.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS put a video or I read an article that said take the flow rate of a pump and cut it in half and that’s probably closer to what you’ll get.

I just noticed the 1/2 return line.
You may want to go to 3/4? But maybe not?

Remember that your sump will not hold the total true volume the dimensions make you think, you also want to make sure the sump is large enough to hold and backflow or overflow if something g happens to cause you DT to drain into the sump.
Try and keep the return nozzle closer to the water line (you have option to slightly tilt the model up it can help reduce the risk that the tank will dump a to of water back to your sum (pump causes some serious suction if your power goes out)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really…
Do you know what size his bulkheads are? Because it sure as sh$$ isn’t posted here, so it may not matter that you think he should go with 1 inch drain.

Just because the retail tank makers of the world don’t do 3/4 drains doesn’t mean that it’s not appropriate for the size tank he has.
They use 1 inch drains on tanks up to 150 I believe. And I’ve seen those set up with basic Herbie drains. So really does a 55 gal tank need something that’s capable of handling a 150 gal tank. Probably not. Do the retail tank manufacturers like to make it easier on themselves by not setting up smaller tanks with an internal overflow with smaller drains, yes they do.

So question- if you’ve never seen a tank with anything other than 3/4 inch return lines does that make it what you should use? Or could you go bigger or smaller for that matter?

That tank once filled with sand and rocks won’t hold 55 gals of water.

Did you notice he also is using “gasp” 1/2 return line? Definitely not what manufacturers use.

The reef ready 75 I have was set up for a 3/4 return and a single 1in drain. Obviously I set the 3/4 up as my emergency but honestly it would have been better the other way my turn over is outrageous and I have to turn my pump down and reduce flow at the main drain.

Anywho have a wonderful Saturday.
Agreed!
Typically its actually "safer" to run the 3/4" as the siphon and the 1" as emergency in a situation like yours. ( you know this just getting it out there in agreement with you). Home plumbing and tank plumbing are not the same I haven't seen too many circumstances in home plumbing that require a siphon drain system.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!
Typically its actually "safer" to run the 3/4" as the siphon and the 1" as emergency in a situation like yours. ( you know this just getting it out there in agreement with you). Home plumbing and tank plumbing are not the same I haven't seen too many circumstances in home plumbing that require a siphon drain system.
You are now my friend because I completely forgot about the differences between tank plumbing and you know regular plumbing!
1711809462516.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back