Help with aggressive Clown fish

marmar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this pair of clown fish for around 2 months now and they have been fine for a while. Randomly the bigger one is starting to get really aggressive with the other clown fish. I think the smaller clown fish got injured because he’s swimming with side facing the surface. Should I wait and maybe they’ll resolve it later on? Or take on of the fish?

The tank is a 20 gallon mixed reef with the 2 clown and a tail spot blenny. I have another tank with no fish right now, but it’s only 5 gallons. The clown fish are still pretty small at around 1.5 inches.

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say two clown fish is a crowd, three is company. The one dominant one will have to bully everyone rather than pick on one dude. So maybe add some more if you think your tank will handle it. Otherwise, you have to Give one back.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this pair of clown fish for around 2 months now and they have been fine for a while. Randomly the bigger one is starting to get really aggressive with the other clown fish. I think the smaller clown fish got injured because he’s swimming with side facing the surface. Should I wait and maybe they’ll resolve it later on? Or take on of the fish?

The tank is a 20 gallon mixed reef with the 2 clown and a tail spot blenny. I have another tank with no fish right now, but it’s only 5 gallons. The clown fish are still pretty small at around 1.5 inches.

Sorry for your losses. Yes, they are cute but aggression is how they determine sexuality, most dominate is female, next is male, then juvenile males, then juveniles. My three clown fish are same age, but vastly different sizes. Sharks feeding might be less aggressive than my female (and tiny juvenile seems to just be a super jerk to ME when cleaning... so much for don't bite the hand that feeds you LOL). If the large clown feels genetically something is wrong with next size fish, she will kill it to make room for another clown to move up. What she may not realize it your trauma watching her kill the other, you are less likely to find her a replacement mate... It isn't like we can sit them down and explain birds, bees, and that they are no longer in the wild...

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back