Help with Algae ID . . . Bryopsis?

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling an algae that I've had trouble identifying - it's a greenish-brown colour and forms long strands. The strands brush away fairly easily but it seems there's some kind of roots in the rock which I can't really brush away and it regrows extremely quickly from those roots. It doesn't seem to grow on the sand at all but it does grow all over the Chaeto in my refugium.

When it gets longer it forms fern-like branching structures which made me suspect Bryopsis - the only thing in my tank that seems to be willing to eat it is my tuxedo urchin which is in line with what I've read about Bryopsis.

Based on this I dosed Fluconazole 4 days ago but so far I haven't seen any change in the algae. I know that it can take a few weeks to completely wipe out Bryopsis but most who use Fluconazole see some kind of impact almost immediately so I'm now doubting myself. I've taken out my skimmer cup, Purigen and carbon for this treatment so I'm really worried about the impact this will have on my tank if this isn't Bryopsis!

Additional info - nutrients are kept very low, generally hovering just above zero. Sometimes I have to dose phosphate and/or nitrate to keep them above zero - I'm assuming this algae is sucking up more than my Chaeto or my corals are.

Can anyone help me ID this? Any recommendations for alternative treatments / CUC additions?

IMG_20230525_132633363.jpg IMG_20230525_132647225.jpg IMG_20230525_132717578.jpg IMG_20230525_132721146.jpg IMG_20230525_132727290.jpg IMG_20230525_132731716.jpg

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. In the last 48 hours or so the algae seems to have receded somewhat so I'm thinking it is Bryopsis after all if the Fluconazole is working.

I'll get more CUC anyway as I don't think I'm on top of the algae in general but 2 large turbos / 10g seems like a lot to me - my DT is 70 gallons and 14 large snails would be a major addition! Do you think there's a risk of them starving once I'm on top of this current wave of algae? I've already got an assortment of smaller snails in there plus the urchin and some tiny scarlet leg hermits.

Currently thinking I'll add maybe half a dozen turbos along with some more scarlet hermits. I had larger hermits in there in the past but they harassed the snails so I banished them to my refugium, I don't feel like the scarlets have as much impact on the algae but at least they're much better behaved!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep hermits out of my reef lol.

Yes you will need to trim down the number of snails once your algae is under control.

It sounds like a lot of snails but i have 4 huge ones in my 20g long and 3 large ones in my 10g.
If you use less, it may take longer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back