Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ae0a23bff0ce2bdf6ee787427284ab9.heic
3da8c7c5d6f3dd659e78f88c69992c6b.heic

0adce84f63900631e8bf4e90d65fdf19.heic

So, I’ve been fighting nuisance algae in my tank the last few weeks. I think it’s hair algae, but being a newer reefer I’m not positive. I’m concerned as it has now started to grow on my sand-bed, and on some corals. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tank Info:
6 month old tank, 40gal IM all in one tank. I’ve been manually removing it and do a 5 gallon water change a week. I’ve been using NoPo-X for about a month for lowering nitrates, and wow that stuff worked great.

Parameters:
My nitrates are around 5ppm and phosphate is about .2ppm.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I’ve been fighting nuisance algae in my tank the last few weeks. I think it’s hair algae, but being a newer reefer I’m not positive. I’m concerned as it has now started to grow on my sand-bed, and on some corals. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tank Info:
6 month old tank, 40gal IM all in one tank. I’ve been manually removing it and do a 5 gallon water change a week. I’ve been using NoPo-X for about a month for lowering nitrates, and wow that stuff worked great.

Parameters:
When you do your water changes, are you using RO/DI water? Also is your top off water RO/DI? How much are you feeding. Basically theres excess nutrients in your system and the algae is feeding off of it. The levels are probably higher than your testing but part of the problem is the algea consumes it so fast that your test results show low or even near undetectable levels.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank Info:

Parameters:
What do you have in the way of a cleanup crew?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try manual removal before water changes to get rid of most of it. Use a toothbrush and siphon around the rocks right afterwards. That appears to be pretty normal algae for a new tank and your system has to mature some. I also would get some trochus/astrea/margarita snails if you don't have that many now, you need some more little helpers to get in there and get at it in the tight areas you can't scrub :)

OP
OP
Fighter_of_Foo

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ve been using RO/DI from my LFS. So, it is normal to be fighting algae in a newer tank? Just a bit confused as I haven’t had algae issues since my initial cycle.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using RO/DI from my LFS. So, it is normal to be fighting algae in a newer tank? Just a bit confused as I haven’t had algae issues since my initial cycle.
Every healthy reef and reef tank should grow algae. The problems arise when the wrong algae grow or when there isn't enough in the tank/reef to eat the algae.

OP
OP
Fighter_of_Foo

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some Trocus and astrea snails, may pick up a few more next trip to LFS

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to a TDS meter, see what kind of level your LFS is giving you.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some Trocus and astrea snails, may pick up a few more next trip to LFS
I feel the best first step in algae control is a very strong CuC. You could also consider going with John from reefcleaners.org
Great product at a reasonable price. I just purchased a refresher pack from him of 110 snails and 20 hermits and was as pleased as always.

OP
OP
Fighter_of_Foo

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no TDS meter. Hoping to start making my own water and will be picking one up.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the drum track to everlong is hard for any drummer to replicate. I think its the same BPM as run to the hills, someone check me on that. both very sick beats to maintain for five mins

on your algae, I take an atypical stance. you have say right now. if you like it, keep it. if not, kill it all within 48 hours so easily. its only based on if you want to kill it right now, or not, and nothing else. I looked at your pic, saw free real estate for the taking, and on a reef that means in demand where algae w plant second, after bacterial films, and I saw no coralline whorls or coral flesh to reject it. ergo, I expected algae.

set your params to what corals want, param problem solved.

hand reset your entire system to no algae, using our kill method. be algae free by choice=decisive commanding win.

then, do all manner of things listed above to the clean condition tank to affect regrowth, not removal. rearrange order of ops

in my opinion :)a 40 gallon is fully accessible fast. a 180 is not.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back