Help with Algae? Identification

dedvalson

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Gainesville, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is being overrun by some brown crud and I am uncertain if it is dinos or cyano of some type. I saw quite a few people posting microscope pictures so I obtaned one and tried capturing a few pictures with it. However while I see lots of cool stuff and many little critters moving around I don't see anything that matches the pictures I have seen others post.

I have attached a few pictures. Some of the tank photos show an uncleaned area on the left and a cleaned area on the right. The crud blows off with just a puff of water or blast from a power head.

I also attached some microscope pictures at 400X

My current water parameters are:

Ammonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3.7 PPM
Phosphate 0.06 PPM
Alkalinity 8.6
Salinity 1.023
Temperature 77.8

There is pretty good water flow, multiple gyres and octopulses.

Whatever it is, Chemiclean doesn't seem to touch it.

I would sure welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Don
Image.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg Image6.jpg Image8.jpg 20230721_150033.jpg 20230721_150043.jpg
 
My tank is being overrun by some brown crud and I am uncertain if it is dinos or cyano of some type. I saw quite a few people posting microscope pictures so I obtaned one and tried capturing a few pictures with it. However while I see lots of cool stuff and many little critters moving around I don't see anything that matches the pictures I have seen others post.

I have attached a few pictures. Some of the tank photos show an uncleaned area on the left and a cleaned area on the right. The crud blows off with just a puff of water or blast from a power head.

I also attached some microscope pictures at 400X

My current water parameters are:

Ammonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3.7 PPM
Phosphate 0.06 PPM
Alkalinity 8.6
Salinity 1.023
Temperature 77.8

There is pretty good water flow, multiple gyres and octopulses.

Whatever it is, Chemiclean doesn't seem to touch it.

I would sure welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Don
Image.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg Image6.jpg Image8.jpg 20230721_150033.jpg 20230721_150043.jpg
There does not seem to a dominating organism in any of the photos. I do see two types of dinoflagellates, ovalish golden things. The ghostly rods might be cyanobacteria. The golden grape clusters I have seen.
 
Hi,

It has been set up now for 14 months. I should have mentioned that. Thanks
 
There does not seem to a dominating organism in any of the photos. I do see two types of dinoflagellates, ovalish golden things. The ghostly rods might be cyanobacteria. The golden grape clusters I have seen.
Any idea what the grape clusters are? I haven't seen anything of that nature elsewhere.
 
Any idea what the grape clusters are? I haven't seen anything of that nature elsewhere.
I can’t remember what I came to believe. :)

It does not seem to be a diatom or dinoflagellate. Is it a Chrysophyte or cyanobacteria? I would ‘t worry about it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new