Help with ammonia spike

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not checking my levels lately and I did finally and my ammonia was at 2.0!! All my other levels were fine but my ammonia is high. I ran out of prime so I can’t dose that until I buy more tomorrow. Anything I can do to lower it in the meantime??? Or will my fish be ok until then??? Also I think someone might have died not sure but I can’t find my blenny. He’s MIA at the moment and I’m hoping he pops back out.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As big of a water change as you can. Find the source of the ammonia and fix it. If a fish died that’s likely your source

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 1 blenny to increase ammonia that high ?

cuc should have cleaned it up prior to getting to that stage ?
Im purely assuming. We don’t know OP’s filtration, water change frequency, amount of CUC. Say they haven’t done a water change in a while, don’t have bristle worms, and it died in a hole in the rock. Many possibilities when facing the unknown.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC is for bits of food. Not whole fish.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large of water change as possible , as soon as possible .
what other fish are in there ?
What size tank ?
how long has it been running ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no free ammonia I bet

prime causes misreads

this is all assuming you’ve cycled the tank, most keepers here only use fish in a cycled tank.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large of water change as possible , as soon as possible .
what other fish are in there ?
What size tank ?
how long has it been running ?
It’s been a year. Wel established tank. Corals and crabs, snails , 2 clowns, 1 chromis and 1 fairy wrasse. I’ve never had a problem. Just did a water change last weekend. Lots of coraline and a small bit of red algae on the sand bed.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. its fascinating to see you don’t have a problem based on the thread above

post pics of your reef, evenly distributed fish are the best proof, if they’re all hovering at the top thats proof there is ammonia

ammonia alerts are misreads caused by api and red sea, but rarely if ever a calibrated working seneye

all this is part of the new updated rules for tank cycling. Buried in the tenets is this rule: ammonia can never drift out of spec in a post cycle tank, not ever. Since we aren’t freezing, boiling or adding antibiotics, anyone’s cycle remains as long as there’s water.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally because cycling articles stopped accepting new information in 1998. Our training info is ~25 years dated.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know why authors won’t touch the subject in print. It’s evolving too fast to pin down.

lol being able to edit here is a big pull for the site.

We barely got seneye a few years ago and streamlining them all is taking time

then we need to add a few years to simply believe what a seneye shows and counter all known cycling info with it, a few more years for them to write new rules, so we are good in disarray till I’m eighty.

I also believe there has been an astounding coincidental retail benefit from operating in the view that bacteria are weak, need us, and certainly need refreshed. The omitted truth is surface area science, that’s where we are lacking and the man is gaining cash

even before pics here, we can infer so much about the reef in question and it all relates to ammonia control.

this is a multiple fish tank, fed and running, beyond 48 hours. No fish live fed and right beyond 48 hours in an uncycled tank. We are dealing with a cycled reef and by extension enough surface area in the expected common arrangements. Even if someone dumped bottle bac and added all those fish, its been 48 hours and the bac are adhered to all surfaces anyway.

people who run wastewater plants assure us that high flow high contact active surface area being presented fish waste will never uncycle. The sand rinse thread shows us that removing sand instantly is ok, because even the live rocks alone are enough *surface area* in any reef to handle all waste.

so, this tank is likely double redundant on surface area with rocks and sand, or sump add ons.

then we have the thread where people dump raw ammonia in their *reefs* (because its raw nitrogen blast of food) in the chem forum, and seneye shows all reefs can instantly take on more bioload than they’re used to, without bacterial ramp up.

that ability is here, in this fish reef above, so ammonia never spiked due to surface area rules and the only kit we can rely on to prove it is a seneye, or .001 of the test reads on this site pun intended

the fact the title of this thread refers to a test read, and not a stated visual tank condition, is 99.9% of the troubleshooting already done.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*what if a fish dies/ reasonable question

seneyes show dead tang fish in the chem forum not registering above thousandths ppm just like the running tank (tang wedged in rocks dead they have a seneye on the tank). The ammonia dosing crew exploits this ability to go well above a current bioload rate without ramp up, I expect all reef tanks will handle fish loss just fine on seneye and when seeing the reef, but api will cause alarms to the moon and back.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I usually don’t and they have been swimming all over the tank so it may be a misread? I’ll check again when I get home from work in an hour or two. Water change etc. I don’t even feed that heavily at all

Attachments

• 1D928CB8-A2F2-45D3-AEB9-D18A541506DE.jpeg
    1D928CB8-A2F2-45D3-AEB9-D18A541506DE.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 57
  • A6E15D76-1BDF-435D-901F-B9DF23FD0614.jpeg
    A6E15D76-1BDF-435D-901F-B9DF23FD0614.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 5D056CF4-8E5A-4949-B0C3-9A1A2D4781C2.jpeg
    5D056CF4-8E5A-4949-B0C3-9A1A2D4781C2.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 49

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take no action for sure, it’s just perfect.
it’s best to not test for ammonia or nitrite since the tank is locked in.

ammonia cannot drift out of spec, it can’t do anything unpredictable ever at any time in reefing, due to aged surface area and rocks and sand. The old rules would have us doubt it endlessly which is by extension to doubt wastewater science and microbiology in general...but that’s what they wrote for us to learn by, to be spurned into purchase action by, only rogues disavow the test kit :)

that’s a zero (thousandths ppm) reef at all times unless the water goes gray and smelly, then something has truly happened.

open corals: they will close up tight in any free ammonia.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not checking my levels lately and I did finally and my ammonia was at 2.0!! All my other levels were fine but my ammonia is high. I ran out of prime so I can’t dose that until I buy more tomorrow. Anything I can do to lower it in the meantime??? Or will my fish be ok until then??? Also I think someone might have died not sure but I can’t find my blenny. He’s MIA at the moment and I’m hoping he pops back out.
I have discussed cases like this with @brandon429 so I don’t think that I am starting any wars with the following comments :)

What test are you using? API tends to produce confusing colors below 0.5 ppm. I would not expect there to be confusion at 2 ppm. Other nitrogen compounds can cause ammonia tests to produce false positives, but I would not expect them to produce a 2 ppm result.

What is your pH? Just in case there is ammonia present which seems unlikely, don’t do anything to raise your pH. You measured total ammonia, most of the toxic form, NH3, is at a very low concentration below pH 8, the rest is the non-toxic form NH4+. Lowering the pH further, increases the margin of safety further. In an emergency, if there was one, this might be the fastest way to help.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would prime added during the first perceived .25 cause a 2 ppm misread

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would prime added during the first perceived .25 cause a 2 ppm misread
I don’t think so. Prime works by chemically combining with NH3. This combination though falls apart during the ammonia test and makes it look like Prime isn’t working. If anything the apparent 0.25 reading stays the same.

I think you have to work hard to get a false 2 ppm reading. That is a very deep color. Maybe test vial or other test equipment was contaminated. I am scratching my head thinking of ways to fool the ammonia test. Maybe the ammonia spike is real and system pH is low. That might let the system survive.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With low pH I expect to see visual problems in pics soon, coral loss

and the source for constant ammonia able to overcome known ability of live rock rock to take on orders more ammonia above steady state (ammonia dosing thread on seneyes) needs to be revealed here. That thread shows ten minutes rebound in nh3 dosed tanks. A blenny cant do it, we’ve tracked whole tangs before.

when pics show distress and that links to a test kit, I’d believe the possibility the kit is right, we don’t see consequence free ammonia noncontrol, not ever. That system even has rapid plant uptake in its favor. It is reasonable to infer based on recent seneye testing matched to fish behavior any system with two clowns acting normally is below tenths and into hundredths ppm at worst, maybe the api is registering that change if a motion has occurred.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a big water change and bought some more prime. I’ll check in a few hours and see if that helped. Never found my dead fish. Crabs probably ate it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back