Help with an age old debate - MH or T5?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly a consideration. I don't think heat is as big of a problem as it once was (since a lot of equipment has gotten a lot more efficient, and people are more mindful of temp in general with controllers). Something like a Tunze Aquawind can often handle the heat, but that varies by situation.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to factor in the cost of a chiller if you go with the MH. 20 years ago, I used a combination of 2 MH + 4 VHO bulbs over a 75. It is nice to have a light source that you just turn on and off without getting into all of the adjustments and expensive fixtures.

Shhh.. don't tell my wife. Lol. I just added a chiller 2 months ago because my system is plumbed into my garage and my temps were getting up to around 83. The fans were no longer cutting it. My wife called me last week and said "WHY IS OUR ELECTRICAL BILL $475"?! I said "huh...must be the A/C or something".

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhh.. don't tell my wife. Lol. I just added a chiller 2 months ago because my system is plumbed into my garage and my temps were getting up to around 83. The fans were no longer cutting it. My wife called me last week and said "WHY IS OUR ELECTRICAL BILL $475"?! I said "huh...must be the A/C or something".
Well, one other thing that I meant to add about using MH is you might see a little increase in your electric bill. So, you may need to start a list of excuses if you go that route. :)

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed up mine when I got this fixture in a build I recently purchased:

Although discontinued, doesn't mean light doesn't work :cool:

That Hamilton looks like it will put out some light.

FYI...... these are still in production along with the Spectra

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also under the impression they were discontinued because of that. I suppose BRS stopped carrying them. They have narrowed their selection on things that don't move much, like MH bulbs. Just Radium, Hamilton, Ushio basically at this point, the big 3 of the remaining brands.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also under the impression they were discontinued because of that. I suppose BRS stopped carrying them. They have narrowed their selection on things that don't move much, like MH bulbs. Just Radium, Hamilton, Ushio basically at this point, the big 3 of the remaining brands.

I'm gonna stick with MH for the foreseeable future. Liking how my tank is reacting to the change from LED based. Also miss that MH shimmer from back in the day.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one other thing that I meant to add about using MH is you might see a little increase in your electric bill. So, you may need to start a list of excuses if you go that route. :)
In 2016 when I downsized from my #300DD to a 180 and dropped from 3 x 250w MH to only LED in June I waited for that less expensive electric bill and it didn't happen. Last month my electric bill was $480+. If LEDS save so much electricity, I have never seen it. My AC, clothes dryer, range and oven, water heater, and pool pump use a lot more than my tank!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2016 when I downsized from my #300DD to a 180 and dropped from 3 x 250w MH to only LED in June I waited for that less expensive electric bill and it didn't happen. Last month my electric bill was $480+. If LEDS save so much electricity, I have never seen it. My AC, clothes dryer, range and oven, water heater, and pool pump use a lot more than my tank!

I do not feel that I have to run my MH all day long. Few hours a days and the remaining part of the day I run T5/LED. I think I'll get up to max 4-5 hours then stop there.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month my electric bill was $480+. If LEDS save so much electricity, I have never seen it. My AC, clothes dryer, range and oven, water heater, and pool pump use a lot more than my tank!

Debating switching from my orphek to an ATI 6x39w T5 fixture. Whether it's running 240 watts of T5s or 240 watts of LEDs I'd imagine the bill to be the same. :) How do you feel about the MH --> LED change? Would you go back?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feel that I have to run my MH all day long. Few hours a days and the remaining part of the day I run T5/LED. I think I'll get up to max 4-5 hours then stop there.
In the summer I ran the MH 3 to 4 hours a day when I got home and ran the bml leds 8 hours. Coral never slowed down on growth

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating switching from my orphek to an ATI 6x39w T5 fixture. Whether it's running 240 watts of T5s or 240 watts of LEDs I'd imagine the bill to be the same. :) How do you feel about the MH --> LED change? Would you go back?
My biggest issue/ wife’s biggest issue was the lumen bright mini pendants and the fact they where so big sitting 8” over my tank. As compared to leds making for a much cleaner look.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to test my par this weekend on my orphek settings. I only have peak intensity for about 5 hours a day. Maybe I should increase to 8 if par is alright.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue/ wife’s biggest issue was the lumen bright mini pendants and the fact they where so big sitting 8” over my tank. As compared to leds making for a much cleaner look.

Yeah I don’t have the huge pendants. I went from the AquaticLife to the Geiesemann. I had a V1 AquaticLife which performed well. The Geisemann beats it aesthetically and sure the MH will do justice. Just added a 2nd ReefBrite XHO LED strip. Think I’m set for the long haul.

image.jpg

Geisemann also 11” longer so now getting light in corners. Hooked up the LED bars on Varspd to dim.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went the other direction and went from MH to LED. Going from 20,000k Hamilton’s to reef breeders, using a par meter, and following the BRS recommended settings and par levels, I can say my growth has slowed a touch. It’s only been a month so there’s still some acclimation happening I think, but I have had to tune down my calcium reactor a tad bit. Perhaps growth will speed back up eventually but not yet by testing results.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back