Help with Anampses Wrasse

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 2.5” Candycane Femininus wrasse (Anampses femininus) in an established 120-gal tank for about 2 months now. Two days ago, I introduced a similar-sized Lennardi wrasse (Anampses lennardi) to the same tank and the Femininus wrasse started chasing the lennardi wrasse relentlessly to the point that the lennardi wrasse is hiding in the sand now.

Oddly enough, the femininus wrasse gets along just fine with my Red Coris Wrasse (Coris gaimard).

Is it impossible to keep two different Anampses species in the same tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 2.5” Candycane Femininus wrasse (Anampses femininus) in an established 120-gal tank for about 2 months now. Two days ago, I introduced a similar-sized Lennardi wrasse (Anampses lennardi) to the same tank and the Femininus wrasse started chasing the lennardi wrasse relentlessly to the point that the lennardi wrasse is hiding in the sand now.

Oddly enough, the femininus wrasse gets along just fine with my Red Coris Wrasse (Coris gaimard).

Is it impossible to keep two different Anampses species in the same tank?
It’s quite possible but you should always be careful when mixing two of the same genus. I would always suggest using an acclimation box in that case. Giving them some time to get to know each other without being able to bully. Anampses are usually great with each other but those two are the closest relatives of each other.

However both A femininus and A lennardi have incredibly low survival rates and rarely do well in the home aquarium. Even for Anampses wrasse they are both very sensitive. Also they often don’t do well with bigger more aggressive fish like C gaimard. Coris gaimard are great as juveniles but can become nastier when older.

For greater success first I would get the lennardi in an acclimation box to let the femininus come out. If you can get them both happy then I would ensure they have the food they need. Anampses wrasse prefer browsing then most aquarium foods so I always suggest dosing phytoplankton to increase pod population. Finally they seem to commonly have gut parasites so you might want to give them a prazi dosage if you don’t see them put on any weight.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite possible but you should always be careful when mixing two of the same genus. I would always suggest using an acclimation box in that case. Giving them some time to get to know each other without being able to bully. Anampses are usually great with each other but those two are the closest relatives of each other.

However both A femininus and A lennardi have incredibly low survival rates and rarely do well in the home aquarium. Even for Anampses wrasse they are both very sensitive. Also they often don’t do well with bigger more aggressive fish like C gaimard. Coris gaimard are great as juveniles but can become nastier when older.

For greater success first I would get the lennardi in an acclimation box to let the femininus come out. If you can get them both happy then I would ensure they have the food they need. Anampses wrasse prefer browsing then most aquarium foods so I always suggest dosing phytoplankton to increase pod population. Finally they seem to commonly have gut parasites so you might want to give them a prazi dosage if you don’t see them put on any weight.
+1 to this, remove either both tamarins or the coris - they won’t get along long term and may result in the death of the tamarins (if they do survive as even quite a few experts have struggled with these two fish in particular and keeping them thriving).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back