Help with automatic weir squeegee design

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with my new standalone refugium weir clogging up and raising the water level to the point that my ATO is compensating and causing small salinity swings between cleaning. I want to build a simple squeegee system that will automatically clean the weir every few hours to prevent this problem.

The design I came up with is essentially just a linear 2” actuator connected perpendicularly to a squeegee that runs parallel to the weir. In resting position the squeegee sits below the weir, then at predefined intervals controlled by my apex, I need it to cycle up and down to clean the weir.

I’m not an electrician, though I understand the basics and can do some basic soldering. I can’t figure out what I would need as far as a relay or digital switch of some kind that will switch the polarity of the current going to the actuator motor when it gets a signal from my apex which would essentially just be an on or off remote signal. I’m thinking I would need two inputs - one to turn the motor on, and one to control the polarity. Or does apex have built in polarity control for DC motors?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t plan on it lasting too long that close to salt water… I’d be afraid of the rust and components contaminating my tank.
I found a waterproof one and it would be mounted above the tank. With the fuge being very low flow, splashing and salt creep is minimal. And hey, if it doesn’t work so be it. I’m only in for $40 in parts and its a fun project to me.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the design I have in mind. Obviously not to scale, but you get the idea...
1715884078310.png

AnomMatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the presumption the Apex power bar can provide the DC voltage to operate it, I think you can get by with something like this:
Switch

Not sure what your options to ground it are, and this might require 3 outputs.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep the chaeto where it belongs and not in the rest of my system wreaking havoc on my pumps/powerheads
So just 3D print better weir that will not have this problem.
Nowadays we have these 3D overflow weir with ridiculous performance.

In my case I just have a wall made of biomedia bricks just after refugium and have zero problem

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to help ya but I can’t figure out a good, safe way to do this Personally… maybe @Sisterlimonpot could help ya out he’s the gadget guru with building controllers and what not. I just fabricate.

AnomMatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the presumption the Apex power bar can provide the DC voltage to operate it, I think you can get by with something like this:
Switch

Not sure what your options to ground it are, and this might require 3 outputs.
What I'm envisioning is
Apex out to positive lug (On signal)
Top lugs out to actuator
Apex out to left small tab (yellow from switch) (Extend signal)
Apex out to right small tab (blue from switch) (Retract Signal)

Then it'd be a matter of figuring out it takes X seconds to extend, and Y seconds to retract, and getting the Apex to On + Extend Signal for X seconds, followed by On + Retract Signal for Y seconds, on whatever schedule you want.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if you insist:
Idea with linear actuator with vertical mount is too complicated.

You can just use scraper with connected belt that will move on weir like on the linear rail.
Plastic gears to move belt are available on marketplace

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if you insist:
Idea with linear actuator with vertical mount is too complicated.

You can just use scraper with connected belt that will move on weir like on the linear rail.
Plastic gears to move belt are available on marketplace
I thought about this but thought the motor would be too close to the water for comfort and also means the scraper is covering some portion of the weir at all times, reducing flow.

Also, I am still stuck with the same problem of needing to switch directions of a dc motor at predefined interval, i.e the belt needs to push the scraper back and forth, not just one direction.

I don’t understand why my vertical mount is too complicated. I’m not asking for help mounting it. I need help with the electronics piece.

Back