Weird weir question

Funkcol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y'all. I just bought this new aquarium that has a weir design I'm unfamiliar with. Usually weirs are sealed to the back of tank, but this one is not and has a glass encasement that houses the overflow and return. My question is, should I seal the weir to back of tank? I'm concerned about build-up in between weir and enasement, but I'm also concerned that if I don't seal it, it will diminish the skimming of weir by allowing water in along edges. Pic included for clarity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
17093971670254799012467733232343.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You suggest this in lieu of sealing the weir, or in addition?
I think if you seal it you will still get some water in it and then you will need to remove the seal to get at any accumulation that slips inside.

The weir will work fine without a seal, just thought that a mechanical barrier might keep the water flowing into the sump for filtration.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you seal it you will still get some water in it and then you will need to remove the seal to get at any accumulation that slips inside.

The weir will work fine without a seal, just thought that a mechanical barrier might keep the water flowing into the sump for filtration.
it will get water between when the water flows over the teeth it will fill up until it spills over the glass box.

I'd need a better picture it looks like someone made that tank into an overflow tank and that glass box may be able to be deleted and use the abs weir in its place.

also having both doesn’t make much mechanical sense since the glass is the determining water height. the black abs with the teeth is just for looks until the glass overflow box is gone.

I'm assuming with this picture.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back