Help with balancing parameters

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I am new to reefing and just started a 37g display about 6 months ago. I have 14 very small LPS frags in the tank atm. I just beat a dinoflagellates outbreak with a uv sterilizer and 4 day blackout about 2 weeks ago. Adding my new nero 3 powerhead has just sealed the deal. I was dosing seachem reef fusion 1 and 2 for alkalinity and calcium, and it was going smoothly. But now, I acquired an alkalinity and magnesium test kit from aqua forest. The rest of my parameters are being tested with the api test kits until my other testing materials arrive. I tested calcium a couple of weeks ago and it was 550+. It still is. My magnesium is off the chart with the aqua forest test kit. My alkalinity is slightly higher tha it should be. All of my other parameters are at "acceptable" not perfect levels.

Ph: 7.9 to 8.0 (I am hoping it will slightly increase with the addition of a c02 scrubber)

Nitrates: between 3 and 5ppm (wont be able to test definitively until my hanna devices arrive from BRS)

Nitrites: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

Salinity: 1.024

I believe my alk, calc, and magnesium are so high because of my use of the fusion 1 and 2, and the fact that I do water changes using instant ocean reef Crystal's, and I dont have enough coral life to consume and balance the parameters. Any advice on what I should be dosing? Should i do water changes using instant ocean non reef Crystal's? And after i balance the parameters, should i be using a kalkwasser stirrer?

My phosphates also hit 0 the other day. What would be causing this? I increased my feedings and plan to test again in a few days. I'm just lost as to what to do as far as bringing these parameters down to where they need to be, and what I need to be waiting for/dosing/not dosing. Please any advice would be so greatly appreciated guys. Thank you

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem's fusion shouldn't be dosed equally which may be your problem if that was the case. I would try to get the magnesium down too as I think inverts have issues when it gets really high. The calcium will drop. Calcium doesn't appear to have any truly bad effects when very high. Water changes should fix dosing issues but you may wanna feed heavy to offset the drop in nitrate or phosphate

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem's fusion shouldn't be dosed equally which may be your problem if that was the case. I would try to get the magnesium down too as I think inverts have issues when it gets really high. The calcium will drop. Calcium doesn't appear to have any truly bad effects when very high. Water changes should fix dosing issues but you may wanna feed heavy to offset the drop in nitrate or phosphate
I will be feeding heavy for the next little while because from what I've been seeing that I'd one way to deal with dropping nitrate and phosphates. I have lost a couple of snails and I wonder if that is because I have extremely high 0hostphates. Do you think because I have retrofitted a reef octopus classic 200INT that I am exporting too much? I will do the water changes twice weekly at 20% and monitor the parameters after each test. When the levels balance, should I move to my kalkwasser stirrer? What should I be dosing post hooking up the carbon/gfo reactor, chaeto reactor, and kalkwasser stirrer?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be feeding heavy for the next little while because from what I've been seeing that I'd one way to deal with dropping nitrate and phosphates. I have lost a couple of snails and I wonder if that is because I have extremely high 0hostphates. Do you think because I have retrofitted a reef octopus classic 200INT that I am exporting too much? I will do the water changes twice weekly at 20% and monitor the parameters after each test. When the levels balance, should I move to my kalkwasser stirrer? What should I be dosing post hooking up the carbon/gfo reactor, chaeto reactor, and kalkwasser stirrer?

If the snails died i am guessing it would be the magnesium as things like snails and what not tend to not handle that being super high. I don't think you need to go with kalk but that is up to you. I think just figuring out how much to dose of whatever you use is the end goal.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the snails died i am guessing it would be the magnesium as things like snails and what not tend to not handle that being super high. I don't think you need to go with kalk but that is up to you. I think just figuring out how much to dose of whatever you use is the end goal.
Thanks for the advice friend. Very much appreciated.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back